cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Pictures

hdaggett
Apprentice

I cannot find pictures that I took recently on the SD card. All of the pictures show up on the camera but when I plug the card into my computer the more recent pictures are not anywhere. I have looked through all of the folders and cannot find them. 

Usually to find pictures I click on the DCIM folder and then either the 100CANON or 101CANON folder. The pictures I am missing all start with 102 and should therefore be in a 102CANON folder but the folder does not exist. 

I have tried showing the hidden files but that did not work. 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you can see them in the camera, then they must be on the SD card.  It is possible that your Operating System is hiding some file types from you.  

Have you tried downloading files from the camera using a USB cable and the EOS Utility?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yeah if they show up on the camera back they are there and you are just not finding them. The camera can't display then if they are not on the SD card.

"I cannot find pictures that I took recently on the SD card."

Also, if you use the SD card as a long term storage place that's not a good idea. Always d/l the photos as soon as you get home each time you are back from an outing. Some folks try to use their camera like their iphone and keep huge amounts of pictures on the SD card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Did you accidentally set the camera to capture in RAW only,  and not JPG format?

I'll guess you have a Windows computer. Windows doesn't recognize RAW files. Look at this article:

<Third party link removed per Community Guidelines>

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Windows 10 is built-in with Microsoft camera codec pack, which automatically recognizes Raw file format and allows users to preview RAW files in Windows Explorer.

EB

Okay. Then the codec must have been added to Windows 10 in an update after the version in the article.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Always d/l the photos as soon as you get home each time you are back from an outing."

???? May be good advice for the future but that helps little finding the recently shot photos on the SD card. especially when they all show on the camera.

EB
Announcements