cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirrorless cameras in bright sunlight

kizoku42
Contributor

I'm going to be replacing my T7 and am considering a mirrorless camera.  With the T7, when I used the digital screen instead of the viewfinder, in bright sunlight, I had trouble viewing the screen.  So much so that I just gave up and used the viewfinder.  Since mirrorless cameras have no viewfinder, do they have the same problem in bright sunlight?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They *do* have a viewfinder, it is just that the viewfinder is a screen. 8^)

In other words, the viewfinder is a little LCD, since your eye blocks any outside light, it is easy to view in bright sunlight. It also can give you a *lot* more info than the DSLR viewfinder.

View solution in original post

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

kizoku42,

I think they still have a viewfinder. You'll often see them referred to as an EVF, or electronic viewfinder. I don't have one myself, but as I understand it, when you raise the camera up to your face, the LCD display on the back shuts off and the viewfinder comes on.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

They *do* have a viewfinder, it is just that the viewfinder is a screen. 8^)

In other words, the viewfinder is a little LCD, since your eye blocks any outside light, it is easy to view in bright sunlight. It also can give you a *lot* more info than the DSLR viewfinder.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

kizoku42,

I think they still have a viewfinder. You'll often see them referred to as an EVF, or electronic viewfinder. I don't have one myself, but as I understand it, when you raise the camera up to your face, the LCD display on the back shuts off and the viewfinder comes on.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Both answers are correct.  You can also adjust LCD screen brightness In the camera menus.  The quality of the LCD screens have improved greatly.  I think you'll have an easier time viewing in bright sunlight on a newer body.  Of course, direct sunlight is always challenging, but in the majority of cases you'll be better off.  As long as you purchase an R50 or above, you're also going to have an articulating screen which can be tilted for a better viewing angle.. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements