cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lense not focusing help please

Canon1317user
Apprentice

Hello everyon i dont know much about cameras. I have a rebel t5 . When i try to take pictures the lense wont focus. It seems as if it is stuck. I am trying to reset my cameras settings & i get a busy message. Please help. Im starting to think iys broken. I habe not droped my camera. . Anyone know how to fix this. Thanks !!! 

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is it the 18-55 kit lens?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try this:

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon1317user
Apprentice
Yes it is the 18 -55 lense .

I tried taking it on and off and doing the steps . Unfortunately it did not work. My question now is Do you guys recommend i get a new lense ? Or will manual focus work just fine? Im afraod manual focus will go out on me. Im really new to this camera thing. Thanks for the answers!

Hello Valued Canon Customer, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. 

- Anything attached to or installed in the camera — memory card, lens, battery and battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

IMHO, you need to get a new lens if what I suggested didn't work. Its not a good candidate for repair.

"a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body."

This rarely to never works. Plus you can do a lot more damage than good.  The mere act of mounting and removing the lens is enough to keep the contacts in good shape. I think they suggest it as a feel good you tried something.  I have seen used copies for around $50 bucks.

EB

Canon1317user
Apprentice
Okay thank you! I will be looking for a lense online. Do you recomend i stay with the rebel t5 as a starter camera? Or should i ivenst in another model? Also if you recomend i stay with the t5 whats another good lense ? Sorry for all the questions i am really new to this and a little clueless with the camera.

If the malfunctioning lens is the only one you have I would suggest you replace it with an EF-S 18-135 STM or USM lens from Canon refurb.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-135mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-usm-refurbished

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-135mm-f-35-56-is-stm-refurbished

Better image quality and a nice range from wide angle to short telephoto.

The T5 is a fine camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

" Do you recomend i stay with the rebel t5 as a starter camera?"

If the Rebel T5 is in good working condition and you like what it provides, there is no reason to not keep it and use it.

However, you have/had a bottom of the line starter lens in the one you currently have.  If upgrading is the direction you want to go, don't buy another bottom of the line 'kit' lens. Make sense?  A much better choice is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It has a similar FL but has a fast constant aperture.  Before you get too excited, I know you are, it does come at a price.  It is a lens that can stay with you and grow with you.  I can't say enough good about the constant f2.8 aperture.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" Do you recomend i stay with the rebel t5 as a starter camera?"

If the Rebel T5 is in good working condition and you like what it provides, there is no reason to not keep it and use it.

However, you have/had a bottom of the line starter lens in the one you currently have.  If upgrading is the direction you want to go, don't buy another bottom of the line 'kit' lens. Make sense?  A much better choice is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It has a similar FL but has a fast constant aperture.  Before you get too excited, I know you are, it does come at a price.  It is a lens that can stay with you and grow with you.  I can't say enough good about the constant f2.8 aperture.

I agree with Ernie that the 17-55 f/2.8 is a fine lens; my wife and I both have it and like it. However, it comes with two drawbacks (one possible, one inevitable) that might apply in your case:

1) My copy of that lens (although not my wife's copy) required more than a few degrees of autofocus microadjustment. It was only a nuisance to find the proper AFMA setting for my 7D's, but your T5 doesn't have AFMA. So if your lens exhibited that behavior, you'd presumably have to send it to Canon for calibration, for which (I found out the other day) they'll charge you more than $200.

2) The lens is so large that it casts a shadow in the coverage area of the built-in flash, rendering the latter unusable. Again, that didn't matter to us. (I prefer an external flash anyway, and my wife rarely uses flash.) But if you do use flash, and don't have an external flash, you'd have a problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements