cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Hood

jimadams28
Apprentice

My lens hood rotates when you focus. This changes the configuration of the hood. Can this be changed? If not, am I restricted to a solid hood?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Confirm that the ID on the hood (ET-65 or something like that) is the correct hood for your lens. Rotating front lens elements shouldn't be petal type. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority

Almost every Canon lens has a hood made for it.  They are just not thoughtful enough to include one free in the less expensive lenses.  It is usually sold for what seems like an indecent premium over the generic versions, but at least it will fit tight and has been designed not to show up in the picture.

A petal hood on a rotating lens obviously makes you suspect it is not offering max protection at every point in that rotation. But since the specified hood is a petal, any solid hood would, by definition, not be designed for the particular lens, so could Show up in your image corners.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Is it a true Canon lens hood or a generic one. Sounds like it screws into the filter threads. Every Canon lens I have owned the lens hood mounts to the lens body. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Is it a true Canon lens hood or a generic one. Sounds like it screws into the filter threads. Every Canon lens I have owned the lens hood mounts to the lens body. 

That's not really the issue. On most (all?) Canon lenses, the front element (i.e., the part that moves if anything does) doesn't rotate. Which means that the lens hood doesn't rotate either, assuming it's attached to the front element. So if the lens hood is mounted in the correct orientation relative to the camera body, it will stay in the correct orienttion under zooming and/or focusing.

IIRC, on the original Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L lens, the lens hood didn't attach to the front element. But I believe it was the only recent Canon lens that worked that way. In any case, the lens hood didn't rotate.

But on any lens on which the part to which the lens hood is attached does rotate, the lens hood should be round, so that its orientation doesn't matter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

There are about a dozen lenses that have a rotating front element. My theory was that if the OP got a generic lens hood that mounted to filter mount instead of the lens body it would rotate. Sounds like he has a petal lens that shouldn't be attached to a rotating front element. 

True Canon hoods that attach to the front element will be non-petal. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I bought a Canon Rebel T6 EOS 1200 Kit which had a 75-300 lens and a 18-55 lens. Both rotate when focusing. The lens hood screws into the UV filter. Probably the lenses for the more expensive cameras do not rotate. My son has a higher end one and his does not. I am just retired guy needing a hobby to keep my mind occupied. Didn't want to ty up a bunch of money initially.

Was the hood that came with the kit a Canon hood? What name is on the hood?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It did not come with a hood. i bought one from Amazon and one from B&H and specified each time that it was for the Rebel T5

Confirm that the ID on the hood (ET-65 or something like that) is the correct hood for your lens. Rotating front lens elements shouldn't be petal type. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The hood for the 18-55 is a petal hood according to B&H yesterday.   If 18-55 rotates when zooming and B&H was right then it is odd. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements