cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens (Camera??) Issue

KerrLess
Contributor

I recently bought a Rebel t6. The lense it came with works perfectly fine. I quickly decided I wanted a new lens and it just got here today. I'm a poor college student, so I headed to Ebay to find a nice, used one. I picked up a 55-250 lens and it arrived today. I knew that it would need a professonal cleaning, but didn't expect it to NOT work. I know I took a risk by buying used, but it was garenteed that it worked. I obviously can send it back but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it!

The lens attaches nicely with no issue. I go to try and take a picture and it will not take one in either MF or AF. Sometimes the flash will pop open and then spazz a little and say busy. My other lens DOES work and takes pictures. I don't even know where to start in figuring it out. I've tried looking around on Google for ideas but I've got nothing. Let me know if you have any thoughts/need more information!!

Thanks!!

Kerr

17 REPLIES 17

ScottyP
Authority

Try it outdoors in sunlight. Sounds like it is having difficulty finding enough light or contrast to focus. 

Also watch you are not inside the lens's minimum focus distance. Focus on something a couple dozen feet away. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I just went outside and nothing different. I can hold the button down all the way and nothing happens.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

At 55mm it should work almost exactly like your other one, assuming it is the 18-55.

Set the camera up (outdoors in good light per above) so that the camera takes good pictures with the 18-55. Swap to the other lens and shoot some more (make sure all the switches are set the same as the 18-55) , if it does not work, It is probably the lens.

I suspect a stuck Aperture. Does it look much darker than the other lens when you look through the viewfinder?

@kvbarkley wrote:

At 55mm it should work almost exactly like your other one, assuming it is the 18-55.

Set the camera up (outdoors in good light per above) so that the camera takes good pictures with the 18-55. Swap to the other lens and shoot some more (make sure all the switches are set the same as the 18-55) , if it does not work, It is probably the lens.

I suspect a stuck Aperture. Does it look much darker than the other lens when you look through the viewfinder?

Send it back, immediately.  Visit the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  Keep your eyes open for sales.  Sales come and go.  I bought that "IS II" version of that lens for two digits.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know what you paid for it on eBay (I;'ve seen many listed for $140).

You can buy a refurbished one from Canon for $240 with a one year warranty. (You want the STM version of the lens).

Sending the one you bought into Canon could cost $100 or more; they generally have a flat fee.

You need to do the math, but since it has issues you might want to send it back and get one from Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

KerrLess
Contributor

So! I have gotten it to take pictures in the "creative mode" settings (M, Av, Tv, P) as long as the AF operation is in AI Servo. It will not take pictures in any other mode. Any ideas now?

Are the photos in focus?

If if you place lens in AF, camera on Green Square A+, and are in midday sun pointing at a discernible object like a tree or a person and you can't take a picture there is something wrong with the lens. Double check that by using the other lens. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

They are a tad blurry/theres nothing to focus on. The lens really does need a good cleaning too. 

My recommendation is to send it back and get a refund. If you can't afford the Canon refurb now wait until you can. I believe you will be spending more if you have to get the lens repaired. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements