cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD screen protector

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

My various Canon EOS DSLR bodies see a lot of use under various conditions, mostly sports, but last week was the first time I was really glad I always put a tempered glass protector on the rear LCD of new bodies as soon as I get them.  My daughter had a day off from school and we decided to take advantage of the nice Fall weather and go hunting for geodes in a stream near Keokuk Iowa.  I brought my 5DS R along and near the end of the day, a piece of a geode I had just picked up fell off taking the worst possible path and it bounced off the back of the display screen.  It cracked the protector but the display underneath was pristine and today I replaced the protector.

I put them on primarily so I could use whatever was handy in the field to wipe moisture/debris off the screen which is also the primary reason all of my smaller lenses have front mount clear "filters" which are of high quality but are still "consumable/disposable" from my point of view compared to the front lens element. 

The rear display is fairly easy and inexpensive to replace so cracking one isn't the end of the camera and a protector won't protect against severe hits but it is cheap insurance and in this case it worked for me.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
11 REPLIES 11

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The rear LCD on many Canon cameras is covered with a clear glass overlay which is replaceable. The 5D Mk III is very similar to the 5DS R and I would be curious to know how much a good "protector" costs compared to the actual Canon replacement part.

DBEC5587-A230-4E33-845E-33FA232A067B.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Mike,

A three pack of the tempered glass variety was $7 shipped.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Mike,

Rodger

That is much cheaper, and I am sure easier to install.

Mike Sowsun

Mike,

They are very easy to install.  I don't think any of the protectors would prevent damage from a very hard hit but it did the trick in this case.  It is good to know that the glass is available separately from Canon, thank you for pointing that out.

Hopefully there won't be any more rock attacks on my camera.  My primary reason for using these is so I won't accidentally scratch the screen while wiping it quickly at an event, with the cheap glass protector on it I don't worry about wiping it off with my sleeve to clear any fog/moisture/dust buildup that happens while shooting a field event.

Rodger

@wq9nsc wrote:

Mike,

Rodger

What brand is that?  I picked up the 6D2 over a 5D4 for two reasons: Bluetooth and the twist/flip screen.  It protects itself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The brand on the pack I bough was "AKWOX" but the same protectors are sold under a lot of brands and they all come from the same limited group of Chinese factories.  The big difference is some that claim to be glass are actually plastic so read reviews and buy carefully if you want the glass version. 

Otherwise they all come with the same cleaning cloths (the alcohol moistened one is usually dry so use your own cleaning solution), a dust removal sticky pad, and some guides to help you install the protector.  When I installed the first one on my 1DX years ago, I used the guide stickers but they really aren't needed and after that I just install them freehand.  It is easy to line them up properly given the large LCD screen and they go on quickly with no captive air bubble issues (at least the glass ones, I suspect the plastic is probably more difficult to deal with when installing).

I don't use live view or shoot video with my DSLRs so for me the large screen is for menu items and a quick image review from time to time at an event.  My XF 400 camcorder has a folding/flip screen that I frequently use when it is on a tripod but if I am using it handheld I use the electronic viewfinder instead.

Rodger

I have tempered LCD protectors for all of my cameras except those that have fully-rotating LCD panels, as I normally have them closed up to protect the screen.  I totally agree that having a tough glass protector is way cheaper and more convenient to replace than having to get the native LCD glass repalced.   The ones I have work absolutely fine with my touch screen displays, although (to be honest) I rarely use the touch capabilities of those units.  I got my protectors via e-Bay from a company in Germany called Displayshutzfolien and they posted them to me in NZ, no probs.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hmm, okay.  Thanks, guys!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I have tempered LCD protectors for all of my cameras ..."

Not much different than using protecto filters on the front of your lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements