cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal for the SL2? Chromatic Aberration

qfertig
Contributor

Hello! I recently purchased a canon sl2 from an eBay seller. However upon further inspection is appears that any images with direct sunlight have major chromatic aberrations. Pretty sure it's not my lens because I also have another lens and it does the same exact thing. The lenses I am shooting with are the canon 50mm 1.8 STM and the Canon 24MM 2.8 STM. I contacted the eBay seller directly and they had mentioned that my camera came with a two year warrarnty, however they shipped from China and I don't neccesarily want to go through the struggle of shipping it off if this a is a normal thing that happens with this camera. Here is the link that gives a small demonstation I created in lightroom. Note this is not the only instance, this also happens with different scenes. Pretty much any bright sunlight regardless of my aperature and shutter speed settings seem to result in the same artifacting. I have also tried ND filters as well. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The video was to soley show that no matter what it does not get corrected. Attatched are some more photos, and both my lenses were purchased from canon at different times. My SD card is also a decent brand Sandisk extreme pro sdxc 95 mb/s defining lines.jpg

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First, cameras don't have or create CA.  That is a lens issue solely.  Now is it really CA?  The first thing to try is to buy a new high quality SD card.  Don't ever buy any cheap or off brand SD cards.

It would be better if you posted a sample instead of showing a vid.  At any rate you can correct this in LR.

I would highly recommend you not buy any grey market camera gear anymore.  It is simply not worth the risk or frustration if something goes wrong.  It might be a good idea to return this and buy a Canon USA camera.

Post a good example.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The video was to soley show that no matter what it does not get corrected. Attatched are some more photos, and both my lenses were purchased from canon at different times. My SD card is also a decent brand Sandisk extreme pro sdxc 95 mb/s defining lines.jpg

I don't see any "insane chromatic abberation" just some motion blur and out of focus artifacts.

@qfertig wrote:

The video was to soley show that no matter what it does not get corrected. Attatched are some more photos, and both my lenses were purchased from canon at different times.

My SD card is also a decent brand Sandisk extreme pro sdxc 95 mb/s 

Are you using a full size SD card?  What is the GB capacity of the card?  Is it a UHS-1 card?  

I would not SDXC cards with that body, just 32GB or smaller.  All that camera needs is Sandisk Extreme.  The Extreme Pro is probably overkill, if you are only shooting stills.  The body does not have the FPS to use a faster card effectively.

BTW, I see a lot of stuff that is OOF, out of focus, due to the DOF of the lens, but not much CA.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for you reply, still a noob about the technicalities of photos. I bought the card off of recommendations when searching around for best performing SD cards for 1080p video and shooting in 60fps. My main purpose is for video, and the card was on sale on Amazon, so if I upgrade in the future it will end up helping me. But yes, the more I do some research the more I am seeing of similar things but not the exact same.  

This is my card: It's a 64gb UHS-I

Now you know what I asked, "Now is it really CA?"  It always helps if you have a problem to pursue the correct problem.

Depending on the vendor, Amazon is not the best place to buy a SD card.  It could be OK, or not.

"... best performing SD cards for 1080p video and shooting in 60fps."

You did not pick the best camera for shooting video. I think you got what you got.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think for what I could afford, it was the best option. However, I would be more than welcome to suggestions that are better than the SL2 for the same price point if I were to return this camera. Can't even afford a $1200 camera and everywhere you look on the web "Canon SL2 the best budget video production camera!" I am just starting out as a photographer, video producer, and I am in school sustaining myself off of my own income from gigs and working 50-60 hours a week. My camera already costs more than what I paid for my car. But as it is, if something is better for the same or close to a price point (not 300 dollars more than what this body costs) I would love to know,  I also will need a second camera soon for shooting video by myself. 

If you ever travel back to this forum, I would still like recommendations on a body that's the same price, but better for video
Thank you! 

@qfertig wrote:

If you ever travel back to this forum, I would still like recommendations on a body that's the same price, but better for video
Thank you! 

.... then you want a camcorder, not a DSLR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements