cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromatic Aberration when switching from DSLR (Canon 60D) to Mirrorless (Canon R10)

BehindTheLens
Apprentice

After I was unable to find any answers from Canon or Tokina support and searching this forum, I thought I'd start a dedicated thread in the hopes that the gurus out there might be able to help.

I've used my Tokina AT-X Pro SD 11-16mm f/2.8 (IF) DX II for 7 years on my Canon 60D DSLR without any issues, but after upgrading to the Canon R10 mirrorless (FW 1.5.0) with the Canon EF-EOS R adapter I now experience some pretty severe chromatic aberration (CA). Samples uploaded to https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUqadN9B21GrXhcF8 and it's very noticeable in the astrophotography (5702). I don't always want to shoot in RAW and be burdened with the post-processing. Thoughts from the community on the root cause and corrective action?

More details:

1. I did not see any CA issues with the Canon 60D DSLR and I only shot in JPG.
  2. My first trip with the R10 was to Antarctica with lots of high contrast white scenery and fortunately I didn't detect any CA (shot in RAW+JPG), but it has since started to appear and increase in severity.
  3. CA is present in the on-camera generated JPG. This is true if saving as JPG directly (5363, 5364, 5367, 5609) or on-camera conversion to JPG (5702).
  4. CA appears in unprocessed RAW, but then fortunately it will process out (Windows Photo or Canon Digital Photo Professional). Why can't the on-camera conversion correct this?

I'm also new to post-processing and wasn't able to find any lens correction data for the Tokina in Canon Digital Photo Professional. Could that possibly fix the CA better?

I appreciate Tronhard's post in https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EF-RF-Lenses/Lens-recommendation-for-Iceland-travel-aurora-photog... about Sigma lens, so I'm eyeing the Sigma 10-18mm F2.8 DC DN to replace my beloved Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 if I can sell that for a reasonable cost to justify the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for the help!

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Chromatic Aberration is a function of lens optical design and not the camera sensor, but the camera may go some way to mask flaws in a lens through lens correction algorithms, especially one that is of a contemporary design. What is happening with the new generation of MILC sensors is that they are showing flaws in what were acceptable lenses used on DSLRs - especially from other brands.  I had several of the 60D bodies and loved them, but they were a very different kettle of fish compared to modern sensors. Canon (like all manufacturers) have built-in lens correction and optimization for their lenses to correct JPG images, but not for 3rd-party ones: which is why I prefer to stick with OEM gear.  

If you want to work with Sigma, then the lenses they have released for the RF mount are the way to go. While I have used, without issue, the Sigma 150-600c and 60-600s for EF, they are super telephoto lenses and the optical challenges are different for super wide-angle lenses.   (Edited: see my later post on in-camera lens corrections).

Others have done testing on the Sigma RF 10-18 and you might find it instructional to view some of those:
sigma rf 10-18mm f2.8 - YouTube

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I had a look on Sigma's website and according to the Features section of the page for this lens, the RF cameras do support lens corrections: "the use of in-camera aberration correction further eliminates optical imperfections such as distortion and vignetting" 
Feature | 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN | Contemporary | Lenses | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

BehindTheLens
Apprentice

Trevor, thanks for the speedy reply! I acknowledge that the optics are inherent in the lens, but was disappointed that my 60D DSLR (circa 2010) could handle that better my R10 Mirrorless (circa 2022, a dozen years newer). A good point about the current sensors being different and showing more flaws. At least working with RAW, I'm able to minimize, but not really sure why I didn't see any CA when I first used it in 2022.

I agree that Canon will not make an ultra-wide fast lenses (I think you mentioned that in another post and that's why I finally got the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 instead), nor will they have lens correction data available for non-Canon lenses. I'll have to watch the reviews on the Sigma 10-18mm f/2.8 RF (maybe they'll have lens correction data for camera or DPP) or Tamron 11-20mm f/2.8 to see if I'll try to upgrade. I would get a full frame with a Canon RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM (about the same as my APS-C w/ 11mm), but the reality is that my couch doesn't have that much loose change.

On a moving train so hard to type on a cell phone.

Old lenses show their weaknesses on newer and better bodies. That is not specific to a brand but just physics. Some work better than others, but the focal range is challenging.

If you were to go FF, there are benefits, especially for landscape where you don't have the effects of crop factor on wide angle lenses. On an APS-C, a10-18 has an equivalent FoV on a FF body of 16-29mm! So huge benefits to FF for you. Also much less noise on FF.

The FF body I would recommend is the R8 and the much more economical but fabulous RF 14-35 f/4.

It is fast, small, compact and light. It also takes normal 77mn filters, which is awesome.

Check out the gallery and look for RF14-35 to see some samples.

Well the good news, as I added in a later post, is that according to sigma their RF 10-18 can be supprted.

You might find a deal on the Canon Refurb lens site.

cheers, TREVOR

Trevor, thanks for battling out a response on a moving train 🙂 While my couch pockets might be deep, they are not filled with money and the dust bunnies won't pay for that full frame body and lens (I appreciate the suggestions though). I'm not that serious of a photographer to justify the budget and have been pretty happy with my crop sensors setups so far. Unfortunately, I really need the f/2.8 for my usage (e.g., inside cultural buildings where flash is not allowed) and I do like that the Tokina does not have an articulating barrel for zoom or focus (makes me think it's less prone to ingress). Thank you again for informing me of the Sigma because I might make an exception there for better compatibility and a smaller package (Tokina + EF-R adapter is big) ... if I find more coins under the dust bunnies.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for refurb or used in good condition (another great suggestion).

Happy Friday!

Peter
Authority
Authority

Would you mind sharing some raw files?

It seems like your Tokina is using the same LensType nr as Canon EF20-35 but I don't think Canon has a lens profile for that lens anyway that would interfere (if that even is possible). Your pictures show TCA that is easier than LCA to correct if you have a dedicated lens profile.

Hey Peter, in my original post, I had a link to Google Photos that should be available to you (https://photos.app.goo.gl/tUqadN9B21GrXhcF8), but let me know if you have any issues. This includes a couple of RAW files to compare against the JPGs. I think the CA is gone in CanonR10_5702_11mm_DPP.jpg that I processed (for the newbie that I am). 

I've heard of some people making their own lens correction data file, but that's way beyond my capabilities and I'm not sure if Canon's DPP will allow for that anyway. If I get more serious with using RAW files, I might switch to DarkTable (https://www.darktable.org/) or ON1 (https://www.on1.com/). While I know that Adobe Lightroom is likely the best solution, I don't like having to pay a subscription for the 1-2 times a year I travel and will want to post-process photos. I'll have to search the forum later to see what people think about post-processing software.

I only found only JPEG files at Google Photos. Easier to troubleshoot a raw file without all the things that have been added or removed to the JPEG files by the camera. I know you wrote that you mostly shoot in JPEG.

I have created some lens profiles for Lensfun (darktable/ON1) but I don't own that Tokina lens.

Do you still own your 60D?

Announcements