cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EOS R100, records video but not photos, my failed switch to mirrorless technology.

Boriecua78
Apprentice

Please I need your help, I have the 5DS and the 6D and I wanted to switch to a mirrorless, before taking the professional step I bought an EOS R100, the problem is that it started taking photos well for a few days, a little delayed but as I did not know about mirrorless technology I did not pay attention, but now it does not save the photos anymore, I thought it was the card because after taking the photo it stayed thinking for a long time with the saving light in red, but now it stopped saving the photos to the card, after taking them the red light stays on as if recording on the card for about 5 seconds, but it does not save the photos, I use different Sandisk Ultra Class 10 100 mb / s cards and it still does not work, the strange thing is that it does record and save video, so I do not know what it could be, I have updated the firmware but the same problem continues, the camera has been used for 2 months and has taken less than 20 photos. It is a new camera purchased on Amazon, I wanted to return it but it is no longer within the 30-day replacement period and I am now in South America, I don't know what I can do.

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Start by doing two things.

1st reset the camera to default settings.

2nd Format the SD card (in camera) you are using to capture photos and video.  If you have a second card you can also test with (format before use), that would also be helpful.

Then retest. 

Also answer these questions for us:

Did you purchase the Camera from a Canon Authorized Dealer?  

Does it have a US Warranty card?

If bought from Amazon, was the purchase made from Amazon itself  (Ships from and sold by Amazon) or from a 3rd party market place seller?

What lens or lenses are you using with the camera (specifically)?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, thank you very much for your answer, I have tried with three different cards, one completely new and two that I use in my other cameras, I have formatted all three from the camera and the same problem continues, I have already reset the camera to factory settings and even updated the firmware, that is why the big doubt is that it recognizes the SD. Answering the other questions:

I bought it from an authorized Canon store, completely new on Amazon and it came sealed.

I must have the warranty card with the manual, since I came back from a trip I have not seen it

The purchase was made directly from Amazon itself.

The lens I use is the one that comes in the kit, it is an 18-45 mm.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your issue is highly unusual.  It’s one that I have not heard before.  If the camera can capture and record video, then it should also be able to capture and save photos. 

Check the operating mode. Like the DSLRs the camera video and photo modes. If the camera is set to video mode, then it cannot capture photos and vice versa. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Wadizzle, thanks for answering, it is very strange, I have been using Canon cameras for more than 20 years and this is the first time I have seen something like this, in fact I always use it in manual mode to take photos, in this case I have tried it in all the modes and the same thing happens, it records normal video, after a while of changing to manual mode to take photos, I shoot and the save light stays on for about 10 seconds and then turns off, when checking the photos taken only the videos I have made appear, it is the strangest thing in the world.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

To add to my colleagues' questions... Are the cards you are using Full-size units or micro-SD with Adapters.
Where did you purchase these cards from and do they work on the other camera you currently have?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Tronhard, thanks for your reply. All three cards are full format Sandisk Ultra Class 10 100 mb/s, one 16gb, one 64gb and one 128gb which is the new one I bought with the camera. All three work normally, so I don't think it's a problem with the card.

Announcements