cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true that Canon no longer offers technical support on the Canon 40D?

ScottS
Enthusiast

Is it true that Canon will no longer repair issues on a Canon 40D? 

I am truly surprised! I've heard of so many wedding photographers and others who have the 5D Mark III, and a back-up 40D. My Canon posted the "ERR 99" yesterday. It was working great just before that. Suddenly it all went south.

I surfed web sites, forums, including this one, and tried the protocol below my message. Nothing.

So I sent Tech support a message, and he replied that my camera is "out of date for service" and Canon Tech Support could do no repairs any more on my camera.

Is this common knowledge? 

Thanks for your input!

Sincerely,

Scott S

Canon DSLR Error 99 Fix To isolate the cause of the issue, do the following: 1. Turn off the camera. 2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card. 3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes. 4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera. 5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture. Does the “ERR 99″ message appear? If it does, then the camera should be serviced. If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of steps: 1. Turn off the camera. 2. Insert the CF card. 3. Turn on the camera. 4. Format the CF card in the camera. 5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture. Does the “ERR 99″ message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most likely source of the issue. Try using a different card. If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps: 1. Turn off the camera. 2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the camera body. Detach the lens from the camera, hold it so that the lens’ gold contacts are pointing down and lightly erase their exposed surface, cleaning them of any hand oil that might have gotten on them. You can use a regular old pencil with a red rubber eraser. Do the same thing with the gold contacts inside the camera body. This is a bit harder but it’s doable: just hold camera so lens opening points down so no gunk falls in. Erase lightly inside the camera. 3. Reattach your lens. 4. Turn on the camera. 5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture. If the “ERR 99″ message only appears when one particular lens is attached, then that lens should be examined by a service technician. If you see the “ERR 99″ with a different Canon lens attached, then the camera should be serviced.

17 REPLIES 17

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As long as parts are available Midwest Camera Repair will fix it.  Google it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, Ernie :)!

diverhank
Authority

Another option is to buy another one rather repairing.  The going price for the 40D is around $200...I've seen some sold for much less than that - cheapest $100  (I recently sold my 50D for $200).

I have not repaired anything luckily (knock on wood) but I can't imagine it can be cheaper than $100...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Another option is to buy another one rather repairing.  The going price for the 40D is around $200...I've seen some sold for much less than that - cheapest $100  (I recently sold my 50D for $200).

I have not repaired anything luckily (knock on wood) but I can't imagine it can be cheaper than $100...

My wife picked up a 40D with 300 clicks on the shutter at FM for $239 about 2 years ago. 

It did need the sensor cleaned, other than that she had no trouble with it. 

TT Martin,

Thanks for that!

Really inspires me to give the used market a look :)!

If used is the way you are headed now, you might want to look at a newer camera than a 40D which was really just a warmed up 30D.  Just a thought.

Although, I was talking with a Star photographer just a couple days ago and he was still using a 40D.

EB

Hi Ernie,

Yeah I'm looking at 60D's as well.

My next big purchase in December is the Canon 6D.

But I really, REALLY wanted my trusty 40D with me as a "back-up" APS-C sensor camera.

The Midwest site you recommended already got back to me on a quote. $240.

They suggested that I might consider used for less money than repair. KEH has a 60D for $438, and a 40D for much less than that.

So I might go used.

Scott,

"The Midwest site you recommended already got back to me on a quote. $240."

OK, now, is $240 a good price for a used camera that you know really well?  Or, do you take a chance on somebody else's used 40D.

Besides the 40D you have is your "trusty 40D" and you "REALLY wanted my trusty 40D".

There is also the 50D which is the last metal body xxD if memory serves me correctly.  It would be a significant upgrade, IMHO, of course.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scott,

"The Midwest site you recommended already got back to me on a quote. $240."

OK, now, is $240 a good price for a used camera that you know really well?  Or, do you take a chance on somebody else's used 40D.

Besides the 40D you have is your "trusty 40D" and you "REALLY wanted my trusty 40D".

There is also the 50D which is the last metal body xxD if memory serves me correctly.  It would be a significant upgrade, IMHO, of course.

The 50D was a fine camera, and I agree that it would be a significant upgrade. But it does have one annoying omision: It has no IR sensor, so it can't be fired remotely. (It does, however, have AFMA, while the 60D doesn't.)

I've never used a 40D, but I assume that it had an IR sensor, since even my XTi had that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements