cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritated with the Canon 6D wireless Capabilities.

sojumaster
Contributor

Maybe I was confused on what the full capabilities of the Canon 6D's wireless capabilities or maybe I am missing something. After numerous attempts and way too much time in finally getting my 6D connected to my laptop through the EOS Utility I was rather disappointed.

This is what I thought I was going to be able to do:  Take a picture with my 6D and then preview the picture and select something in the preview menu to transfer the picture to the laptop.  If this is not possible, this is something that needs to be fixed in the software of the EOS Utility and in the firmware.  If this is possible, please someone tell me what am I missing.

When I click on "Starts to download images" within the EOS Utility, I get a "there are no images in the camera or memory card that match download conditions" error.  (Which makes me think that selecting the pictures and transferring them from the camera is possible but I cannot seem to find the function to make it work)

I really do love the 6D because I was holding off until Canon finally produced a body with built in GPS and wireless capabilities.  I know that it is going to be impossible to build a perfect camera under the cost of a car but I think this would be a simple fix to the software and firmware.  Who knows, maybe a fix to this user is in order also. 🙂

Other Problems That was annoying:

-  The manual to set up the wireless connection (EOS 6D (WG) Wi-Fi Function Instruction Manual) was not intuitive nor any type of logical flow.  Why should I have to jump from section to section to do something?

-  The manual failed to mention that I had to connect to the camera from the computer and not the other way around.  (very annoying since I was expecting the pairing software to detect the connection automatically)

- The EOS Utility manual needs to be separated by the model of the camera.  The attempt of making a single manual for all the models is a failure.  It was so confusing that after awhile in trying figuring out what portion applied to the 6D and what didn't that I had to print it out and re-edit the manual so it had only the parts that pertained to me. 

I would greatly appreciate any help and shared frustrations with this. 

14 REPLIES 14

Skirball
Authority

@sojumaster wrote:

This is what I thought I was going to be able to do:  Take a picture with my 6D and then preview the picture and select something in the preview menu to transfer the picture to the laptop.  If this is not possible, this is something that needs to be fixed in the software of the EOS Utility and in the firmware.  If this is possible, please someone tell me what am I missing.

If you’re using EOS Utility Wirelessly then the photos will be stored on your computer already (you may be able to do both, as you can when tethered, but I haven’t tried to make sure).  So that may be why you get the error to transfer it.

Personally I found the EOS Utility to be useless when connected wirelessly.  It is FAR too slow for my workflow.  It just wasn’t worth the small advantage of not using a tether.  However, the EOS Remote app for my phone/tablet is quite useful.  It’s still very “beta”, but the preview images transfer much faster (the RAW images are still stored on the camera).

Other than that, I feel your frustration.  But you have to remember, this is one of the introductory WiFi cameras from Canon.  The technology is still young, and it’s very rough around the edges.  I’m glad my camera has it, but I went into it viewing it as a nice perk as opposed to a major feature.  I really didn’t expect much from it.

@Skirball wrote:

@sojumaster wrote:

If you’re using EOS Utility Wirelessly then the photos will be stored on your computer already (you may be able to do both, as you can when tethered, but I haven’t tried to make sure).  So that may be why you get the error to transfer it.

Personally I found the EOS Utility to be useless when connected wirelessly.  It is FAR too slow for my workflow.  It just wasn’t worth the small advantage of not using a tether.  However, the EOS Remote app for my phone/tablet is quite useful.  It’s still very “beta”, but the preview images transfer much faster (the RAW images are still stored on the camera).

I will have to test it if it tethering.  Which would work for my purposes. 

While the transfer is slow, It is a great help for me.  I am starting to shoot pictures in night clubs and I am trying to work a solution where when I take a picture it shows up on one of the flat screens on the wall right after I shoot it.  So a slow wireless connection, even at 15-20 seconds, is a lifesaver for me.

(edit:)

I have tried the tethering but no love. I even opened up lightroom 4 and it recognizes the Canon 6D (I have never tethered LR with my 6D before, so I was happy at first) but even after shooting some pictures here in the office I did not get anything.

hsbn
Whiz

It works flawlessly for me. I think you expected it to work like blue-tooth pairing but it is not. It is wireless connection, not blue tooth. To connect to a labtop there are 2 scenarios: with a central point of connection (network router) and directly between camera and your laptop.

First scenario: With a central point of connection means that you have a wireless router of some sort. Your laptop is connect to that router (to use internet, home-networking, etc). Then you will have to connect your 6D to the same network (using the same password as your laptop if your network is configured this way). Once both of your devices connected to the same network. Turn on WTP PAIRING software (EOS Utility will not connect to your camera without turning this on). Now your camera is connected to your laptop. You can use Remote capture function of it or transfer the image. This is mostly to be used at home or in the office.

Second scenario: You are out of the field. So there is no router, no network, no nothing. Your laptop will not pair with the camera (again, this is not blue tooth) automatically (not the first time anyway). BUT you only need to configure this once. Turn your 6D into a network itself. Now it becomes like a router at home. Then you connect your laptop to your 6D (your 6D is now a wireless network hub). Once it is connected, turn on WTP Pairing then EOS Utility. You can configure your laptop to remember this setting. So next time, you can just turn it on and it will connect automatically.

I'm not near my camera right now so I cannot give you the exact instruction word by word. So I just gave you a brief setup. However, if you still need more information or help. I can give you detail explaination once I get my camera back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:

It works flawlessly for me. I think you expected it to work like blue-tooth pairing but it is not. It is wireless connection, not blue tooth. To connect to a labtop there are 2 scenarios: with a central point of connection (network router) and directly between camera and your laptop.

How's your transfer rate - when using EOS Utility through a LAN?  It takes a good 15 - 20 seconds for the image to pop up on mine.  I didn't spend much time playing with configurations, maybe a firewall or something is slowing things down.

To be honest, the range is suck. 🙂
The transfer speed is not bad since most of the time I have my camera & PC next to router. But if I walk out of my "studio" it's crawling even it is just a few feet away. When I set it works flawlessly I meant the connection and function, not speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@hsbn wrote:

Second scenario: You are out of the field. So there is no router, no network, no nothing. Your laptop will not pair with the camera (again, this is not blue tooth) automatically (not the first time anyway). BUT you only need to configure this once. Turn your 6D into a network itself. Now it becomes like a router at home. Then you connect your laptop to your 6D (your 6D is now a wireless network hub). Once it is connected, turn on WTP Pairing then EOS Utility. You can configure your laptop to remember this setting. So next time, you can just turn it on and it will connect automatically.

I'm not near my camera right now so I cannot give you the exact instruction word by word. So I just gave you a brief setup. However, if you still need more information or help. I can give you detail explaination once I get my camera back.

the 2nd scenario is what I am shooting for even though I think that I might have to start going with the 1st scenerio because the places I shoot at usually have a strong hot spot. 

For some reason I cannot get the conneciton to reconnect automatically and I end up connecting from scratch again.

Make sure when you set it up, check the box where it say "automatically connect to this network" (on a PC anyway). You may use Mac but I think it should have similar option. Let me take a look at it sometimes later and let you know if there is a better way. Sorry cannot be much help atm.

@hsbn wrote:
Make sure when you set it up, check the box where it say "automatically connect to this network" (on a PC anyway). You may use Mac but I think it should have similar option. Let me take a look at it sometimes later and let you know if there is a better way. Sorry cannot be much help atm.

I am using a PC.  I am very thankful for the help.  No rush on getting the best answer, I have been struggling over this for awhile now, I am glad there is actual light at the end of tunnel now. 🙂

Update:

Well I figured how to get it consistently connect via ad hoc.  (I still have to manually do it and the saved setting seems to not want to play nice with me)

I did test the camera to 70 feet and had no wireless issues.

Still trying to figure out: How to tether it so I do not have to run to the computer to hit the download.

How to transfer ONLY JPGs.  I do not need RAW transfers if I am going to instantly have them added to a slide show.  (Of course I have to find a solution in regards to a slideshow program that will automatically update the slideshow when it detects added files to a particular directory. of course I would appreciate any help in that department also.)

Stephen

Announcements