cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS lenses stop working with 1D X Mark II

ScottCCC
Apprentice

I have a 1D X Mark II in pristine condition that I purchased new in 2016. Autofocus, auto exposure and lens settings work fine with all my IS lenses, but images stabilization just stopped working on all of them (100 Macro II, 16-35 II and 300 2.8). All lenses have an IS switch. Any idea why all lens communication would work but the IS would stop working on all the lenses at the same time?

6 REPLIES 6

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Under the menu for custom controls, you can assign IS start to one of the programmable buttons (like mfn2); check to see if you accidentally set this manual control over IS start. When you press the button, IS will start if the lens IS switch is on.

I have never tried to assign IS start to a control so I have no idea how it behaves but I remembered seeing that when I was assigning switching between stored exposure settings using the MFN button via custom controls.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

That is correct Rodger. It is M-Fn2, and I believe it applies to digital IS for movie shooting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John, not one of the functions I have felt the need to assign.

And to the OP, don't bother trying to clean the contacts because there is no dedicated contact related to IS.  The IS function is handled via the digital bus contacts that also control other lens function and the only specialized function contacts are the three dedicated to determining if a teleconverter present and whether it is a 1.4 or 2x.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I second the don't try cleaning the contacts. It almost never to never helps and it can be damaging.. Secondly whenever anything happens that seems out of place try resetting the camera to default. This will not tell you what was wrong or set wrong but will let you know the camera is fine or not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I was curious this morning so I pulled out one of my 1DX II bodies and mounted my EF 100 f2.8 IS macro lens and assigned the mfn2 button to IS start under custom controls.  With this set, the IS does NOT start with the usual half shutter press and does require the mfn2 button to be used to start IS.  This was in normal, not video capture, mode.

And I quickly disabled this custom assignment so it won't create problems for me next time I need to use IS 🙂

Rodger

Thanks for testing that Rodger. Good info for MkII owners. I was checking what the Mk III manual said; didn't expect it to be different than Mk II. Seems like a strange option.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements