cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to tether a 5D Mark III to a Mac.

Terryzw
Apprentice

When I go to Application>Utilities>System Information>UBS I can see the camera. But when I try to use the CameraWindow app I get an error message "No camera was found". Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What version of OS?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-software

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I am using Sierra 10.12.2

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There's a work-around you can try... 

Open the macOS "Image Capture" utility. 

Connect the camera and power it on.

Wait for the camera to show up in the macOS "Image Capture" utility.

Now launch the Camera Window application and see if it works now.

Apple made some significant changes to how USB devices are connected in Sierra (and irritated a lot of people by doing so).  I'm "guessing" it probably had something to do with USB-C support being added -- but I don't actually know if that's why they did it.  I do know that a handful of apps that rely on USB devices are now broken as a result.

There's another application that I use which is also broken... but the "Image Capture" work-around causes it to work.  Somehow, once Image Capture identifies the device as a camera, then other applications can use it.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'll give that a try tonight.

@TCampbell wrote:

I'm "guessing" it probably had something to do with USB-C support being added -- but I don't actually know if that's why they did it.  I do know that a handful of apps that rely on USB devices are now broken as a result.

USB-C came long before Sierra - though you could still be right - my Wife's macBook is USB-C only (When we bought it I kept saying "Are you sure? Are you *really* sure?") and she is still pre-Photos. [I don't recall offhand the exact OS]

Announcements