cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am extremely upset that a printed manual was not included with my EOS R7.

susieq48
Apprentice

The R7 is my third Canon camera.  I am seriously thinking of returning it as it requires re-learning the dials etc that one should be able to quickly manuver while shooting.  They are not intuitive. With my older cameras, I was able to sit with the manual and camera and go through it step by step. You could put it down for awhile and pick it up again with ease. Now we are expected to sit at a computer to read through pages. That can't be done in the comfort of my living room.  Don't even talk about using a phone with the print so small you can barely see it. I also packed the manual with me when travelling to review features that I don't usually use during my normal shooting but may want to try.

Am I the only one disappointed with the idea that a corporation that charges enormous amounts for it's cameras can't afford to print a manual for those who would want one?   

21 REPLIES 21

blame a lot of this on the worldwide paper shortage that started during COVID once the mills shut down. “

The trend toward distributing electronic copies of manual is as old as the Internet.  It began with manufacturers including a manual in the packaging and offering an electronic copy online for user to download.  As products became more complicated, manufacturers included a “Quick Start” guide in the packaging.

As a higher percentage of consumers became computer owners, manufacturers eventually stopped including a a manual in the packaging.  Consumers had grown accustomed to using quick start guides, anyway.  

The trend of only providing electronic copies of the manual is not limited to cameras.  Nearly every type of consumer electronics and products follow the same practice.  From window air conditioners to lawn mowers, the full owner’s manual is available online, not in the packaging.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

skbryan
Contributor

yeah, I just spent about 5K on a new camera and no manual or even a quick start guide.  Sucks.  

TomRamsey
Enthusiast

I've had several cameras with printed manuals that are still unopened in their boxes.  Ever since I found out you can download a pdf copy and search it, that became the way for me. I have pdf manuals for all of my cameras on the computer, phone, and ipad.  I recently bought my first Canon, an R6 mk2, and found it pretty easy to pick up on for the most part, not that much different from my Pentax DSLRs.  Different, but both are logical, but definitely some thing I've had to look up, where the search comes in very handy.  I can't imagine how big a 1074 page printed manual would be.  But, yea, I think at least a printed quick start manual would be a nice addition for those that prefer it.  

stevet1
Authority
Authority

I got a print manual with my T8i.

I think I used it once.

Steve Thomas

Mine remain in their original plastic wrapping, I always use the soft copy versions.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I think the printed manual/no printed manual concept approached the filter/no filter concept.

No amount of discussion to why it is or isn't provided won't convince anyone to change their view.

Folks talk about the problem of reading a PDF manual on their phone, but when Canon provided the printed manual, they weren't much larger than a phone, and they couldn't be zoomed. Plus, I found that the index frequently left a lot to be desired relative to finding something. Much easier to search a PDF.

Modern cameras are now basically computers that record images, and lengthy documents are required to explain everything. When I purchased my 1D X Mark III I purchased a printed copy of the PDF in 6x8 format - it was larger than my camera, 3 volumes (6x8x3 inches).

I have purchased a number of products from Nina Bailey. She produces very usable documents.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 163211.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Once upon a time...  Printed Manuals.

Great for those who rely on Encyclopedia Britannica as a source of truth.  Thanks to searchable .PDFs which like camera manuals can be kept up to date and current, they aren't in business any longer.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

As my colleagues and I have said previously, there are good reasons why printed manuals are not provided any longer:

1. They are quickly superseded by new versions as firmware is applied to the devices to which they refer.  That means there is a lot of out of date, or misinformation in old documents.   A link to a web page containing a current copy is far better from an accuracy point of view.
  2. With a soft copy, one can search for specific words of phrases if seeking a specific reference.
  3. Hardcopy manuals are expensive to produce, and since research has shown that most people don't read the manual, and just bin it, it is not only a waste of money, but a source of waste.  You don't get charged for what is not supplied.

To quote Charles Darwin: “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” or the ancient Greek philosopher Heraclitus who famously said “The only constant is change”.

The world has changed, as my respected colleague Rick says.  Within that changing world, we live our lives in comfort zones: areas of behaviour within which we function with minimal stress.  When we are young that comfort zone has very flexible boundaries and our job is to push those comfort zones outward, resulting in skinned knees and bangs, but also experience and a new sense of mastery.  We go to school and that provides us with constant change in a structured fashion.  When we stop challenging ourselves, our comfort zone hardens around us a like a shell and becomes more painful to break through in order to react to external issues that force change upon us.  It also shrinks without exercise, and that diminishes our control of the world we live in, and we fear that.  That is the challenge of aging and I, probably like you, have to deal with that.  I embrace it as much as possible, and it's not always easy - but there is no alternative except to live in a smaller and more isolating space.

Devices are updated frequently because they contain more circuits that can be reconfigured for new features or to fix bugs.  That is the nature of change - you can't stop it.  I have been using cameras since 1980, along with other different devices that have passed through my hands. I can assure you that this digitization of documentation is common to all other brands, plus computers, washing machines - pretty well any modern appliance has an on-line manual.  For those devices they often provide a quick refence, but if you need to go into a deep dive for some reason you scan a QR code, or follow (or type) a link to get the on-line version.

Common practice is to get a tablet and use that - not only will it allow you to conveniently access the reference materials via the web, but you can download all sorts of books to enjoy, without the cost of buying the hard copy.  If you can us a smartphone or a modern PC, you can use a tablet.   I assume you can since you are on this site. Those soft copy versions of documentation are free to access for reference and you can even keep download PDF versions of them onto a tablet without having to fill up bookcases, and they can travel with you.

As regards the new layout of the R7.   I am surprised that you were not aware of the difference in configuration as part of your due diligence to consider the pro's and con's of the camera before you purchased.  For me, that is just a normal way to avoid unwanted surprises, and to look at the new features and how relevant they may be to benefit me.   It is not uncommon for cameras to change their layout as new features are added - otherwise there would be no room on the body for the extra controls.   This is not unique to the R7, or Canon - many makers are doing precisely the same thing because they all face the same challenges to support the demands of the market for new features.  Canon cameras have been amazingly consistent in their layout for many years, but that had to change, just as the design changed from the 1960's to 1970's etc. Change happen, and painful as they might seem as we get older, we have to live with it or embrace it and reap the benefits.

If you decide to keep the R7, despite your reservations about the body layout then, as the Moderator Stephen wrote earlier:
"If you want a printed copy, you can contact the Canon Print Factory. They will let you know the cost of the printed manual prior to purchase. They're available Monday through Friday from 8am to 7pm ET at 631-330-4255. You will need to let them know you want the EOS R7 Advanced User Guide" : CT2-D181-B. You could get a much more extensive and often more user-friendly 3rd-party book as recommended by John.

Alternatively, if you find the layout too disorienting, consider a classic layout DSLR body, like the 90D, or in the R series: the R10 which is a great camera and does not have that different control wheel configuration.  If you would consider going Full Frame, then the R6 has a similar layout to the DSLRs you may be more used to.  There are choices out there, but you will need to do your research.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

garymak
Enthusiast

Ditto to everyone's right-on comments. I'll add six more reasons to them, the first four of which are:  Spanish. French. Portuguese. German.  

I don't read any of those languages, yet they are bundled with the English, creating an enormous manual that, in fact, is only 1/5 necessary for me (or, I would bet, the Spanish, French, Portuguese and Germans as well.)  Years ago they used to separate them so you could just toss 3 of them in the landfill easily.  For some reason, manufacturers (and we're talking about Canon in this thread) decided that it was somehow more economical to make one giant manual and forced consumers to rip out the parts they couldn't read into the landfill leaving a half-@🍑 half-shredded manual to carry around that will slowly deteriorate...

But now I just keep the digital manual - just the English one - on my phone which I always have with me when I need to do some quick checking, and on an iPad when I want to read things a bit more easily.  I can also keep it updated with new editions with a quick delete & download...

The 5th reason is that these manuals are rarely generated originally in English, but rather, Japanese, since the manufacturers are all Japanese.  While they have gotten better with word translations over the years (-I still have my original FTb manual from when I lived in Japan. The English is a hoot! I had to use the Japanese manual back then for a clearer explanation -) they are still based on and translated from a Japanese way of thinking and explaining things, which is not as precise (or logical) as English.  In other words, half the time what I really want to know when I try consulting the printed manual isn't explained as clearly or as detailed as I need and I end up going on YouTube or other websites for the information. Which brings me to the 6th reason, a kind of extension of the 5th...

Cameras are extraordinarily complex pieces of electronic machinery today, often requiring courses (not pages, but courses) on not only how to use all the functions, but what those functions do and how they impact other functions.  To cover everything in a "manual," you'd literally be publishing a college textbook-size "manual" with every camera (and if you haven't checked the prices of college textbooks recently, lets just say they are usually in the mid-3 figures.) Case in point: I'm working on improving my video skills with the R5.  I'm taking a 6 part course on what all the functions are and how to use all them. 

So, to hopefully summarize succinctly, the capabilities and functions of today's MILCs/DSLRs far exceed the capacity to effectively and efficiently reduce all that information down to any really useful summary that will fit within the confines of a small printed paper manual - and that will probably need updating (due to firmware/software updates) by the time you've opened the box anyway...

Yay, PDF!

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Over and above the fact that trying to find the answer to a specific question was an exercise in frustration, the printed manuals as supplied by Canon, are printed with print so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them.

Phooey.

Steve Thomas

Announcements