cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep color settings on default Canon EOS R8

armenkaloyan
Contributor

How do I keep my color settings on default on my Canon EOS R8 without having to set them every time I turn on & off my camera?

when you turn offf the R8 it goes back to the original camera default color settings and you have to again click on your user 1 settings every time you turn on the camera.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Can you help us understand what settings you are changing and what exact feature you are using?

Are you using a Picture Style, or other custom settings?

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R8 : Picture Style Selection (start.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

 I’m on my user1 settings, it’s on vivid color option, when I turn my canon EOS R8 off the user1 settings needs to be manually activated again, it does not stay on user1. Camera when turned off goes back to the original settings, does not stay on user1.

@armenkaloyan wrote:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

 I’m on my user1 settings, it’s on vivid color option, when I turn my canon EOS R8 off the user1 settings needs to be manually activated again, it does not stay on user1. Camera when turned off goes back to the original settings, does not stay on user1.

VIVID is a Creative Assist processing option. It cannot be set as a default.

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R8 : Creative Assist (start.canon)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you 🙏 

I understand, I’m new to Canon, on my Nikon D700 & D850 I can choose vivid and shoot with my vivid color choice without having to engage every time I take a picture, if I turn off or on my Nikon the color choice remains.

thank you 🙏

@armenkaloyan wrote:

I understand, I’m new to Canon, on my Nikon D700 & D850 I can choose vivid and shoot with my vivid color choice without having to engage every time I take a picture, if I turn off or on my Nikon the color choice remains.

thank you 🙏

You can adjust settings in Picture Style or even use the Picture Style Editor software to achieve the look you want and then save it as a user picture style. 

https://global.canon/en/imaging/picturestyle/editor/

https://youtu.be/kfOU0oYGzqY?si=QllyUSky9LOlpPb6

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What shooting mode are you using?  I am asking about  the Mode Dial on top of the camera.  I am going to recommend using P shooting mode.  This is a good mode to use to learn about the camera’s features, although it is not THE best mode to use for critical photography.

Many entry level and mid-range camera bodies have “Basic” and “Creative” shooting modes.  You can set the shooting mode with the top dial.  The “Basic” shooting modes are automatically preset shooting modes.  The Basic modes have named descriptions like “Sports” or “Portrait”.  The Basic shooting modes are provided for beginners and those who do not wish to take a deep into the weeds of photography.  All camera settings are preset for you.

The Creative shooting modes are far more advanced.  This is immediately apparent with the greatly expanded menu system.  The menu system in Basic modes are a subset of what is available in Creative modes.  

Creative shooting modes camera settings are retained after you turn off the camera and turn it back on.  I recommended P mode because it is the best mode to learn about the camera.  Most of the details on setting a correct exposure are handled automatically for you.  This allows you to explore AF shooting modes, AF point selection modes, and things such as Picture Styles

Most advanced users prefer to use Av or M modes.  They also prefer to set the storage format as RAW, instead of JPG.  The Picture Styles setting only affects how JPG files are saved in the camera.  

When you use the RAW format, the Picture Style setting is saved, but not applied to tthe saved image.  If you save images in the RAW format, you can actually change the Picture Style setting in your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements