cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How simplify R7 video shooting and editing

dknapp1117
Contributor

I am a total newbie with the numerous settings on the R7 for shooting with video. Is there a group of settings I can use that will allow me to download a useable video that won't need color grading, CLOG3 fiddling and hours of study to get a passable clip? I am looking for something similar to JPEG if we were talking about still shots. I will be learning the complicated stuff eventually, but right now I am coming from a stills (mostly nature shots) background. In stills, I save both raw and JPEG with each shot and know how to get the look I desire. I use CLOG3 now but just don't have the time at the moment to tame something I didn't know existed.

On a related note, when I download the clips, they all show up on Windows 10 in MP4 format. Is this correct? I sort of expected something like a video version of CR3 I use the Canon EOS Utility 3, which then opens the Digital Photo Professional 4 program. For my video editing, I had been using Wondershare Filmora, but I am willing to update to Premier Pro or something else. Filmora is just what I am familiar with. 

I am moving from a Canon EOS T7i, so there is a lot to learn.

Thanks for any advice.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

See page 374 - 376 of the User Manual.  Turn off CLOG3 for starters.  That will then capture video in either Wide Dynamic Range or Rec709.  Rec709 would effectively be like JPEG in that it has a very similar color space (BT/Rec709 has the same colors as sRGB, just a different gamma).   And you wouldn't need to grade it in post.

Also, CLOG3 is just a gamma curve setting, and it's independent of the codec (Compression/Decompression) algorithm used to encode/decode the video data.  So you have have MPEG-4 (MP4) with Rec709, CLOG, CLOG2, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This is worth reviewing for clarity:

Canon Knowledge Base - EOS R7: Movie Recording

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

See page 374 - 376 of the User Manual.  Turn off CLOG3 for starters.  That will then capture video in either Wide Dynamic Range or Rec709.  Rec709 would effectively be like JPEG in that it has a very similar color space (BT/Rec709 has the same colors as sRGB, just a different gamma).   And you wouldn't need to grade it in post.

Also, CLOG3 is just a gamma curve setting, and it's independent of the codec (Compression/Decompression) algorithm used to encode/decode the video data.  So you have have MPEG-4 (MP4) with Rec709, CLOG, CLOG2, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This is worth reviewing for clarity:

Canon Knowledge Base - EOS R7: Movie Recording

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements