cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi. I have a Canon 90D: Doesn't auto focus or trigger the shutter

Suemac7
Apprentice

Hi. My Canon 90d has been great until today.  At first, it wouldn't respond to the shutter button at all and kept signalling to activate the flash....which all of a sudden I have to manually open.  Then I did a factory reset and now it beeps but doesn't seem to auto focus or trigger the shutter.. it won't come off to manual focus either. Changed batteries, memory card.....help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Sue,

It sounds like you are in a really low-light situation.

What happens if you go out in the bright sunshine and try to take a picture?

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Sue,

It sounds like you are in a really low-light situation.

What happens if you go out in the bright sunshine and try to take a picture?

Steve Thomas

It does the same thing

Sue,

If you can't take a picture in bright sunshine, the first thing I'd say, is check the little switch on your lens and make sure it's switched over to AF.

The second thing I'd say is that it sounds like your camera is not communicating with your lens. If you can't autofocus, and you can't trip your shutter, they are not talking to each other.

Do you have another lens you can put on and test it?

Lastly, your camera might need some kind of repair. You might call Canon support and see what they say.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To expand on Steve's comment.
If you are shooting in low light, or the subject does not provide enough contrast, the camera will not focus and in that case because autofocus is enabled, it will not activate the shutter.  The flash will not deploy automatically except in the Auto mode, so it depends on what mode your camera is set to.
I strongly recommend you watch the following video and get to know your camera's operation and give you more control over the unit

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

strux
Contributor

When I have weird problems, removing the lens and putting it back on often helps. 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements