cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Feature Request: EOS R with SIM Card Slot

livestreamer
Enthusiast
5G is coming, and so is livestreaming.

Please can future versions of the EOS R include a SIM Card Slot so that the device can connect to a 5G mobile internet relayers, and stream uncompressed 4K with Stereo Audio.

Now *that* would be quite something.

No more cables, no more WiFi, no more BlackMagic, no more Sony.
27 REPLIES 27

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I assume you mean future "R" series.  I think you might see the ability to tether a camera enhancing existing Wi-Fi function before you'll see one with a SIM slot.  Space is a real premium.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

livestreamer
Enthusiast
> I think you might see the ability to tether a camera enhancing existing Wi-Fi function before you'll see one with a SIM slot. Space is a real premium.

Yes, hopefully so... for me, the obvious enhancement would be to add an RTMP encoder into the EOS R software, so that it can tether to my smartphone hotspot for WiFi, then stream to my RTMP endpoint.

Failing that, adding a "livestreaming" section to the Camera Connect apps, where you can configure your RTMP endpoint and settings etc, would be a nice simple integration, building on top of existing apps.

But IMHO a SIM Card slot should ultimately replace the SD Card slot.

If all you are doing is streaming, and the stream is being recorded remotely, then there's no need for local storage any more.

I acknowledge that it might seem extreme, especially for people who have always had memory cards to fill up with content.

But with the rise of cloud storage, and livestreaming, I think this is the direction it is headed. Take also the emergence of 5G, which can transmit 4x4k uncompressed video streams... we're entering a new era.

Might work in "most" cases, but not underwater or in locations where cellular is not an option.  I for one like having local storage, but we all use our devices differently.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

@livestreamer wrote:
If all you are doing is streaming, and the stream is being recorded remotely, then there's no need for local storage any more.

This would only appeal to people who aren't using the camera for photography. 

As it is, this video rubbish is adding substantial cost to the prices of cameras, and for a lot of photgraphers they will have to pay a hefty premium for features they will rarely if ever use. Increasingly the prices are getting harder to justify if you aren't interested in video, because you are paying through the nose for features you're not interested in using. 

@John_SD wrote:

@livestreamer wrote:

This would only appeal to people who aren't using the camera for photography. 

As it is, this video rubbish is adding substantial cost to the prices of cameras, and for a lot of photgraphers they will have to pay a hefty premium for features they will rarely if ever use. Increasingly the prices are getting harder to justify if you aren't interested in video, because you are paying through the nose for features you're not interested in using. 

Most of the video implemetation is done through software.  All of the parts to do video are already present in a digital camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Firmware actually, the Digic chip has to do a lot of work downsampling and compressing, hence the overheating problem.

I am sure, the Digics are very expensive to develop.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Firmware actually, the Digic chip has to do a lot of work downsampling and compressing, hence the overheating problem.

I am sure, the Digics are very expensive to develop.

If you are referring to overheating in the R5, that just might be the CFExpress card that is overheating, not the CPU or sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just DSLR overheating in general, I have no experience with the R5.

Gents, head over to DPReview pronto and read the article they just posted regarding the R5/R6 overheating issue. Some great points are made -- among them is that high-end video recording is one of the most processor-intensive activities you can subject the camera to, and any of them will heat up. In the case of the R6/R5, we have a lot of amateurs and spec sheet warriors who will attempt to use them as pro cinema gear, which they are not.  Excellent article, in my opinion. 

Announcements