cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Decision on 7D mk ii or 80D

xzebra
Contributor

I'm looking for some advice whcih has been discussed many times before!

I have been using a Canon 50D for several years and am wanting to upgrade. 

I am looking primary at the 7d mk ii or the 80d. I cannot afford much more. I do not have one type of photography I like to do/specialize in, but more less a jack of all trades. I enjoy birding, portraits of my children, wildlife if I have time, landscapes and nightscapes. I have a daughter that plays girls volleyball (indoors) My son typically does outdoor sports.

I know that the 7d mk ii is fast and has better focusing, however the 80d has better dynamic range with lower noise at higher ISO. Thus is the reason I am so torn between and it is a lot of money for me. I know some of you may have had  your hands-on both with extensive use so I am asking for your help on this.

Other thoughts - I like the layout of the 7d mk ii better and careless about video. The more durable design reminds me of my 50d which I love, but not a deal breaker.

My other main concern is the age of the 7d mk ii, which is basically at the end of the life cycle. I cannot seem to find many reviews on how it stacks up again current cameras much and do not want to purchase $1500 worth of out dated material.

My current Lenses are:
Canon 50mm 1.4
Tamron 28-75mm XR Di
Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro
Canon 100-400mm L

Appreciate all of you assistance,

Many thanks - Kevin

2 REPLIES 2

Is there really that much difference between the layouts of the two cameras? I thought most Canon DSLRs (except the 1 series) were nearly identical in that respect. My wife once got my 5D3 confused with her 7D2 and used it for an hour or so without noticing. I can't vouch that an 80D is that similar because I've never even seen one. But it would surprise me a bit if it weren't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Is there really that much difference between the layouts of the two cameras? I thought most Canon DSLRs (except the 1 series) were nearly identical in that respect. My wife once got my 5D3 confused with her 7D2 and used it for an hour or so without noticing. I can't vouch that an 80D is that similar because I've never even seen one. But it would surprise me a bit if it weren't.

The rear button layouts of a 7D2 and 80D are very different.  The functionality of the buttons and controls near your right thumb are very different.  The most obvious difference is the line of playback buttons along the left edge, which is a design that I do not like and is thankfully not shared by 1D bodies.  

Canon has two distinctly different layouts.  A consumer layout for ###D and ##D bodies, and a semi-pro layout for #D bodies.  But, the 6D has the consumer layout.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements