cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Video file on R6 disappeared from SD card!

Hollasue
Apprentice

I have 2 128GB cards and have R6 camera set to record to both (which it didn't,but that's another discussion). I recorded 3800 images and 4 videos while whale watching. I watched the videos on boat, 'edited' them, trimmed beginning on two and end one one,  saved one as new file and the others as overwrite. I returned home put my card in card reader, no videos, they all have disappeared! Put them back in camera, gone too! HELP! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Definitely look into the reason behind the not-recording to both cards (ensure your settings are set to simultaneous record). Ensure you're not using micro SD cards in adapters (bad idea).

Unfortunately, I think you'll need to look into data recovery services to try to salvage the data.  If these are SanDisk cards, there may be software you can try to see if data is still there.

Also, I would probably shy away in the future from editing footage (and re-saving files) on the camera itself.   Just to rule out any issues there with re-writing that could lead to corruption perhaps.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Personally, I separate the processes of taking an image from those of post-production.  By breaking down the elements into different stages it reduces the chances of one impacting the other, especially if something gets corrupted.  I would take the photos and video, download them to a computer drive and THEN make whatever changes you want using the copied images. If anything goes wrong you should have the originals as your fall-back.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Definitely look into the reason behind the not-recording to both cards (ensure your settings are set to simultaneous record). Ensure you're not using micro SD cards in adapters (bad idea).

Unfortunately, I think you'll need to look into data recovery services to try to salvage the data.  If these are SanDisk cards, there may be software you can try to see if data is still there.

Also, I would probably shy away in the future from editing footage (and re-saving files) on the camera itself.   Just to rule out any issues there with re-writing that could lead to corruption perhaps.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Personally, I separate the processes of taking an image from those of post-production.  By breaking down the elements into different stages it reduces the chances of one impacting the other, especially if something gets corrupted.  I would take the photos and video, download them to a computer drive and THEN make whatever changes you want using the copied images. If anything goes wrong you should have the originals as your fall-back.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements