cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP, Rokinon 14mm AF on EOS R does not MF

Pleiades
Apprentice
I am using FW 1.6.0 on my EOS R. I just received my Rokinon 14mm AF Canon EF mount lens. When I use manual focus, it delays, fires the shutter, then freezes up for about 40 seconds. Ultimately the photo is taken, but this is not how it should act. I have release shutter without a lens enabled. When I attach this lens to a t5 or t3i, it works absolutely fine in MF mode. Any thoughts as to what I am missing?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Again. Exactly which model lens are you using?

It seems that you may have an old lens that works with old cameras, but not a relatively new camera. Sorry, but that is a lens problem. Old lens does not work with more recent camera body.

BTW, you might not need to enable releasing the shutter without a lens. It should not make a difference, though.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have release shutter without a lens enabled"

Do a factory reset first. The set to shoot without lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Does your lens have an AF chip installed? I have noticed that some cameras behave strangley with some AF chips.

Mike Sowsun

This lens does have the AF chip, but I would think that shouldn't matter when in MF mode?

Sorry, I was thinking you had the older Manual Focus of that lens with an AF chip.   

There must be an incompatibility problem between the Rokinon lens and your EOS R.  The fact that your EOS R works fine with Canon lenses means that Rokinon has not "reverse engineered" enough to make it work with the advanced features of the EOS R. 

I assume you must have you have the EF version and not the RF version since you can use it on the T5 and T3i. That means you must be using an EF to RF adapter. Is it a Canon brand or 3rd party adapter? Either way that adds another layer of uncertainty.

Rokinon may be able to update the lens at some point. 

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Pleiades wrote:
I am using FW 1.6.0 on my EOS R. I just received my Rokinon 14mm AF Canon EF mount lens. When I use manual focus, it delays, fires the shutter, then freezes up for about 40 seconds. Ultimately the photo is taken, but this is not how it should act. I have release shutter without a lens enabled. When I attach this lens to a t5 or t3i, it works absolutely fine in MF mode. Any thoughts as to what I am missing?

Exactly which lens are you using?  It sounds like there is some issue with THE LENS, not the camera.  It the Rokinon lens does not work properly on the EOS R, Rokinon owns that problem.

I believe it is a camera problem. This lens works as it should on a t5 and t3i. I don't have any other acquantances that shoot canon to test it on but it is only my EOS R that malfunctions with it.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It seems that you may have an old lens that works with old cameras, but not a relatively new camera. Sorry, but that is a lens problem. Old lens does not work with more recent camera body.

BTW, you might not need to enable releasing the shutter without a lens. It should not make a difference, though.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Thanks @waddizzle and everyone else for your input! It seems I should not have went with a third party on this and a newer lens. I am going to send this back to B&H and trade in my 17-40 using this money to get the 15-35 RF 2.8. It wont be backwords compatible to my older bodies, but I can only use one lens at a time anyway!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Help-EOS-R-with-Samyang-14mm-f2-8-shutter-won-t-fire/td-p/259...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements