cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good mirrorless camera for around $1000?

uruchiwo
Apprentice

$1000 Isn't necessarily a lot for a camera, but I want an upgrade. I'm currently 14 years old, and have been using my moms (former professional photographers) 5d Mark III. However I would like to upgrade to something with a better/faster auto focus and that can shoot more pictures per second for better action photography. Do yall have any ideas on what I should get?

6 REPLIES 6

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Are you looking for just a camera body at that price?  Or a camera and a lens?

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

uruchiwo,

I would say"

Where is the money coming from?,and,

What does your mom say?

Is this going to be your camera, or is it going to be your mother's?

If it's going to be your mother's camera, she ought to have a say in what you buy.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I am assuming you live in the US (given this is an international site) and thus have access to the Canon Refurbished store.  With that thought in mind.
Since you are starting out on your own, I would recommend a Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC) to replace your mother's excellent 5DIII DSLR with another full-frame unit, the EOS R8.  

The R series MILCs have advanced features such as face and eye tracking, fast autofocus, high frame rates and an excellent 24MP FF sensor.   I assume if your mother was a professional photographer that she had good lenses, and you can use your existing lenses with the R8 - you will need an EF -RF adapter and you can get and the body  too, from Canon's Refurbished store (good as new, often barely or unused, and come with a warranty).
Refurbished EOS R8 Body (canon.com) and Shop Canon Refurbished Mount Adapter EF-EOS R | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

They will require you to save up a bit more, but they are good cameras for your purpose.
Some reviews for your consideration: 
Canon EOS R8 "6 Months Later" REVIEW: Best Budget Full Frame Mirrorless Camera?! (youtube.com)
Canon EOS R8 REVIEW vs R6 II: best value full frame camera? (youtube.com) 
Canon EOS R8 Full Frame Budget Camera Review | Canon Left the Fun In (youtube.com)
If you don't have the funds right now, it's something to aim for and right now, I would say it's the best value in a FF camera right now.  Good EF lenses will work well with RF bodies, I use them myself

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Aurora4233
Enthusiast

An R8 is a remarkable camera for ~$1000.  You'll still need a lens... alas...

If you can squeeze $1,279 B&H has an R10 + the RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens.  It's and APS-C sensor but I've shot primarily APS-C for 20+ years (since the Rebel 300D days) and I've never been disappointed. 

It's a super long story but it was the RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens that established my faith in the new 'R' equipment and drove me to send 14 stellar EF lenses back to B&H and get on with my RF adventure and I've never regretted it.

There's never been a better time to get into photography! Good Luck!!

~ Chris

Er. Have you considered that one does not need an RF lens if you have and EF -RF adapter?
Considering the OP has been using a 5DIII, and the camera was originally owned by a professional, there will be FF EF optics available, and they're very probably good ones.
I have no doubt the R8 is the best deal for the budget, and the good RF optics can follow over time when they can afford it.  Canon EF lenses are perfectly capable of working on RF bodies.  I use them myself.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

EF-RF adapters definitely work and I have one for the one EF lens I still completely appreciate that has no RF equivalent (EF 35-350L from the late 90s!).  I'm using this lens at a Marine Corps graduation in a week and I used it for a project a couple weeks ago because I couldn't predict whether I'd need the 35 or the 350 end and there's still really no RF alternative. 

Only reason I consistently hammer on making the EF to RF move as soon as practical is every one of my RF lenses focuses immensely faster, weighs nothing by comparison to it's EF cousin, and is appreciably smaller.

Certainly anyone should take advantage of any lenses that could fall into their lap but I'm trying to consistently reinforce that the sooner anyone can make the move the RF the sooner they'll enjoy going from neck straps to wrist straps to carry their gear on long days and the sooner they'll enjoy lightning fast focus and significantly increase their number of 'keepers' for the day.  Keepers is my metric for lens value and in that respect my RFs more than double my keepers. 

I love great EF glass but I'll stick with R bodies deserve RF glass to maximize the keepers you walk away with.  You'll get plenty of fantastic pics with EF and adapters but I think everyone can double their keepers with RF on Rs and be more comfortable carrying it all at the same time 😁

click here to view the gallery
Announcements