cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear and temperature changes

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

A friend asked me this question and I decided to ask the forum because I don't have this problem. We live in an area of the US that has a hot, humid atmosphere much of the year, and she likes to keep her air conditioning on about 65-70 degrees. She recently got a new 90D and a couple of lenses so she is concerned about her gear fogging up when she takes it outside so is wondering how to deal with this and also where is the best place to store her gear in the house (in a closet or out on a shelf). Thanks, Wanda

9 REPLIES 9

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The fogging from going outside shouldn't last over a couple of minutes and isn't usually a big deal.  I run into this often when going from a cool vehicle to a hot and humid sports events.  I just make sure that the gear and I are there a few minutes before I need to start shooting.

Your friend could store the camera in a warmer part of her home as long as it isn't humid to reduce the wait time for fogging to dissipate outside.  Many refrigerators vent warm air from the condenser out the lower back which rises over the top of the refrigerator and that area could be used to "pre-heat" the camera.  If stored in a location like this, keep it in a camera bag to avoid the dust buildup that goes along with the airflow. 

The only danger to the gear is storing it where the humidity remains high enough to allow mold/fungus to grow in a lens or within the camera body.  Never store gear in an environment with sustained high humidity but shooting events outside in humid weather won't be an issue.

My gear stays on shelves when not in use with lenses in their storage pouches and cases.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you, Rodger! I will pass that along to her.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In and out I never worried or was concerned by it.  However, out in the hot can be a problem.  A camera out on a 100 degree day like is common here  in Kansas can cause it to get pretty hot. Although there is not a lot of lube in a camera/lens there is some.  Leaving the camera/lens in a closed up car even in the trunk on a hot day is a bad idea. No, it is a horrible idea.

At my age if it is too hot or too cold for me, than it is too hot or cold for my camera! But younger and working my gear did what I wanted it to do and that is how you should look at it too.  What good is it, if it won't? Just use common sense and all should be fine. But if it feels bad to you perhaps it isn't good for the camera either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, ebiggs1! You are absolutely correct--I feel the same way about "if it feels bad to you it isn't good for the camer either." If I have some other appointment or meeting on the same day as an outing, I put my camera and lens(es) in appropriate case(s) and carry them inside with me.

@Wandalynn wrote:
Thank you, ebiggs1! You are absolutely correct--I feel the same way about "if it feels bad to you it isn't good for the camer either." If I have some other appointment or meeting on the same day as an outing, I put my camera and lens(es) in appropriate case(s) and carry them inside with me.

Leaving gear in your car carries an elevated risk of theft.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I agree with Ernie about how hot cars can get and although it probably won't cause immediate failure it does cause accelerated aging of electronics.  And if it is already hot before you start using it then the odds of malfunction during event usage increases.

And coming from someone who spent a lot of time with risk management and also did a lot of consulting with the insurance industry, don't be careless with how your camera is stowed in your vehicle.  If something happens and you stop suddenly, especially from impact, anything not tied down is going to keep moving.  When I am just carrying a little bit of gear, it will be in LowePro bags (and lens suitcases for the Canon telephoto primes) and those get hooked through seatbelts in the back seat of the car and/or secured in the trunk.  If I am taking a lot of stuff, the cameras and lenses will be in a pair of Pelican 1650 and 1510 cases secured to anchor points on the floor of the rear seat of my crewcab pickup.  Hensel Lighting gear rides in its protective travel cases in the enclosed bed area secured to tie points.  For the safety of you and your gear, don't set up the situation where a heavy item is going to fly around in the passenger area if something bad happens.

I have often shot in rain with my 1 series gear and L lenses, if it is heavy rain then I use the Canon raincoats that fit the lens and body but otherwise it is what it is.  I bought the gear to use and it isn't going to sit on a shelf and collect dust.  I have shot in a lot of heavy rain with my 1D2 and 1DX family of cameras and never had an issue. 

Whether you buy gear for fun or to make money, sometimes you are going to have to use it in less than optimal conditions.  Stuff can always be repaired or replaced, the same isn't true of people.  You can't get back time either and an event/opportunity missed due to being over-protective of gear is a potential experience you can't ever get back.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Anything looks pretty good and works pretty well sitting in a drawer or camera bag. Some folks feel that is what they want in a camera but that was never me.  It either did what I wanted or we didn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Wandalynn wrote:

A friend asked me this question and I decided to ask the forum because I don't have this problem. We live in an area of the US that has a hot, humid atmosphere much of the year, and she likes to keep her air conditioning on about 65-70 degrees. She recently got a new 90D and a couple of lenses so she is concerned about her gear fogging up when she takes it outside so is wondering how to deal with this and also where is the best place to store her gear in the house (in a closet or out on a shelf). Thanks, Wanda

Its all a function of degreeSmiley Happy

What is the humidity difference? The fogging can range from mild surface fogging that disappears quickly to major internal fogging that takes a while to clear.

One time I was going to take some photos of kids playing in an indoor water park. I wasn't thinking and lexited my 30F vehicle and entered the park building which was 85F and 100% humidity. Fortunately I had weatherproof gear since the camera and lens immediately condensed the vapor and were dripping like I was in a shower.

Years ago, before weather sealed cameras, I would go winter camping. Outdoor temps were single digits F and below. The tents were trail stove heated and as such in the 50sF and pretty high humiidty inside from the snow and people just being inside. We warned folks to leave their cameras outside. The ones who forgot had to spend a good bit of time letting the cameras and lenses dry. Mirrors and internal lens surfaces all had condensation.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Just like to point out that a few days ago, the dewpoint here in Albuquerque was -7 F.

Today it is 50 F, or 46% relative humidity.

8^)

Announcements