cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the picture quality which one i should choose, canon 700d or 60d??

harry
Apprentice

Hey guys, im planning to buy a camera...

because i'm not have so much money so i'm interested at 2 models.... EOS 60D and EOS 700D

60D are old one than 700D... If i want a better picture which camera I should choose??

I usually shooting at JPEG mode....

And if I saw the spec the processor are quietly different (DIGIC 5 on 600D and DIGIC 4 on 60D), is the processor affect very much on the picture quality.....

and my notes, i dont like to buy twice so I would buy for the best....... thanks guys....

---HarrY---

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

This could be debated by the pixel peepers, but I’m going to just come out and say it: in practical terms, the image quality between the two will be the same.  If that’s your only concern, save yourself some money.  Now a couple of caveats:

The 60D has user customizable functions, so you can set up presets for specific conditions or types of functions.  If you’re shooting in jpg, that could be a help (to some people).  However, some people that use the Rebel series love all the little preset modes, so arguably that could be a benefit.  It depends on your knowledge, or lack thereof, of photography and shooting style.

The 60D is considered to be a higher level camera.  It may have functions you want in the future, and you mention not liking to upgrade.  People that don’t like to upgrade usually like to buy the more expensive equipment.  That said, maybe you don’t use any of those functions and the best purchase for you is the cheaper one.

The camera that gets the best image quality is the one you use.  Go to a store and play with both of them.  They are considerably different in size and feel.  Maybe the 60D is too big for you, maybe the 700D is too small.  The one you like more you’re going to use more.

And finally, don’t buy the 700D, get the 650D instead.  There’s many threads on this here, so I’m not going to restate why…  other than to say, Canon didn’t change a **bleep** thing.  They added a new embossed wheel and changed the coating on the outside.  The inside of the camera is identical.  If you can get a 650D for considerably cheaper then that is the smarter choice.

cicopo
Elite

I'd bet your choice in lenses will be a bigger influence on the IQ than which of the 3 bodies Skirball has mentioned is the one you choose. Back when the 5D2 came out people wanted to know how the IQ compared to the 1Ds2 & on 1 forum someone said "you'd need to print at the size of your living room wall to see the difference" and having owned both at that time I fully agree. In a lab you MIGHT see a difference between the cameras you're considering but in the real world it will come down to your skill set & the lens mounted on it at the time the photo was taken.

I've never shot a Rebel series body but know it doesn't have the same control wheel the 60D has & I use that control wheel on every body I have shot so often I'd have a hard time if it weren't there. Download the manuals, learn where the IMPORTANT controls are & how they work & then go to a store & see if they are easy to change in actual use.

This is my list of important controls & may not be what others would suggest. Setting the focus point, Exposure Compensation, Flash Exposure Compensation, changing the ISO,  Setting the drive mode & the AF mode.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

These two posters above summed this up as succinctly as can be done. Get the one you like and learn to use it.

Good glass wins in the end.Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ErgoMan
Apprentice
Yes, the glass that you put between your sensor and the subject will have much more of an effect on your picture quality than your camera body. Sensors are these days quite mature and optimized but manufacturing flawless optics is still very difficult. In addition, if you are worried about image quality than shooting RAW on a lesser camera will beat shooting JPEG on a better camera. Maybe consider a RAW workflow.

That being said if you want quality, the 60D is the better choice. Below is a summary of the reviews about the 60D:
http://www.claritific.com/cameras/Canon_EOS_60D/

Maybe this is a funny question but important....
If eos 60D are launched on 2010, do the body and lens kit are produced on 2010 too?? Or the kit could be produced on 2011/12.....
Thanks....

And from my question answers above, I could assume that picture that produced from EOS 60D are better than 700D....

If you buy from a major dealer (Amazon, B&H, Adorama, etc.) then the product you buy will mostly likely have been manufactured recently.  It doesn’t matter that the 60D was released in 2010, they continue to manufacture them.  The only exception perhaps would be if you buy from some small shop somewhere and they pull a box out of the basement and blow the dust off and send it to you.  But that’s unlikely.

And no, I wouldn’t assume that the photos from a 60D are better than a 700D.  That’s what Canon wants you to think, but not necessarily true.  They both use essentially the same sensor. The 60D is a better camera, and in a test lab can produce slightly better images, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to magically make your photography better.  The differences between the camera have more to do with features, weather sealing, etc.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 700D has more "gee wiz" features (touch-screen, etc.)   But the 700D is more of an "entry" range body and the 60D is a "mid-range" body (Canon has entry level bodies, mid-level bodies, and pro-level bodies.)  

On a "pro" and "mid-range" body, the body has two dials... one just behind the shutter button and the other on the back of the body.  These are strategically located so that when shooting in manual mode, you can put your index finger on the front wheel (usually to adjust shutter speed) and you can but your thumb on the rear-dial (usually to adjust aperture/f-stop).  This allows for fairly rapid use in manual mode without needing to take your eye away from the viewfinder.  

The 60D has that layout (more like a pro body).  The 700D does not.  

The imaging senssors on those two bodies are actually the same generation (both use Canon's 18MP sensor).  You wont actually see any significant difference in image quality between the two bodies.

The 60D is "weather sealed" (I put that in quotes because you should NOT confuse this for meaning it is water-proof.  It is not waterproof ... do not submerge it.  That would be very bad.)  Weather sealed means that openings in the body for buttons and dials and body seams all have gaskets or o-rings which are generally regarded as being good enough to seal out water or dust as long as it's not under any pressure.  If you get caught in the rain... not a big deal.  Just towel it off (do not open the body until you towel it off... it's obviously not sealed when doors are open or your lens is removed.)  Many of Canon's "L" series lenses (not all of them) are also weather sealed.  So keep in mind that while the body may be sealed and able to deal with some rain... the lens may not necessarily be able to deal with some rain.  

DIGIC V does have better JPEG processing than DIGIC IV... although you may not necessarily be able to notice the difference.

I've seen (and so have you) stunningly gorgeous images coming from very old and very basic DSLR bodies.  The largest difference in image quality will be you... your skill.  Buying a Canon 1D-X flagship body will not ensure your images look fantastic no more than buying a Steinway concert grand piano will help you play beautiful music... if you never learned to play a piano.  You ultimately have to learn photography, exposure, and how to take advantage of your camera.

If you plan to learn to shoot in manual mode, you will likely prefer the control and ergonomic layout that the 60D offers.  If you prefer to shoot in automatic, semi-automatic, or scene modes, then you will likely prefer the 700D.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements