cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Focus bracketing on R6 and with a EF lens

bbbryan
Apprentice

I'm excited to start experimenting with focus bracketing and landscape photography. However, I came across a Canon list of lenses that are 'compatible' with this feature. I use a EF 17-40mm L lens with a Canon mount adapter. This lens is not on the compatible list.

What happens when I try to focus bracket with a lens that is not compatible? Does this mean I should move to a newer RF lens or can I still get away with using it?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I've been using the focus bracketing feature with my R5 and the RF 100mm macro for the past year. After reading your post, I randomly grabbed my EF 24mm f/1.4 L ii, put it on the R5 and took a focus bracket of 5 images just here in my office. I stacked the pictures using Canon's DPP. It worked perfectly! I'd say just try your lens--it might work. And I highly recommend using DPP for the stacking--it's a breeze. The command is called Depth Compositing--I just use it on the defaults. I also recommend downloading the DPP manual when downloading the app for additional information. I've read, however, that the focus bracketing feature is at its best when used for closeup photography. I got an RF 15-35 lens for Christmas and so far haven't been able to get such dramatic results with landscapes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Even if the bult-in focus bracketing tool won't work with a particular lens you can still use the manual method or tools like Helicon Remote or Kuuvik Capture.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I've been using the focus bracketing feature with my R5 and the RF 100mm macro for the past year. After reading your post, I randomly grabbed my EF 24mm f/1.4 L ii, put it on the R5 and took a focus bracket of 5 images just here in my office. I stacked the pictures using Canon's DPP. It worked perfectly! I'd say just try your lens--it might work. And I highly recommend using DPP for the stacking--it's a breeze. The command is called Depth Compositing--I just use it on the defaults. I also recommend downloading the DPP manual when downloading the app for additional information. I've read, however, that the focus bracketing feature is at its best when used for closeup photography. I got an RF 15-35 lens for Christmas and so far haven't been able to get such dramatic results with landscapes.

Thanks so much! And I will definitely try it with DPP. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements