cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashes for the Rebel T7

dosborne41
Apprentice

I am new to photography.  I bought a Rebel T7 and began looking for compatible speed lights.  To my surprise, Canon, in all their wisdom, created some sort of hot shoe that even some of their own stuff won't work with.  Nothing on the aftermarket apparently will.  So, what off-camera speed light style flash will work with the T7?  I don't mind buying Canon, but I don't want to spend more on the flash than I did on the camera.

And, if anyone with the Canon Corporation is reading this...  Make some compatibility charts so we know what stuff works with what stuff. And, of course, quit making weird proprietary parts where universal parts should be.  The T7 is an entry level camera.  I will buy more advanced down the road.  And, once I get more experience and learn more about cameras, don't you think I'll learn which ones are more compatible and versatile than the others?  

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The T7 does not have the center pin in the flash shoe so third party flashes will not work.

The Canon EL-100 ($135 in Refurb Store) will work on your camera.

The T7 is a Type-A camera, so any Canon flash compatible with a Type-A camera will work. "even some of their own stuff won't work with" What Canon flashes that you know of won't work?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Is OP talking about the new hot shoe being used on the R7, R10 and R3. Some of Canon's low end DSLRs have removed the center contact. Very old Canon speedlites used A-TTL (EZ series) speedlites. All EX/ EL speedlites are compatible with all EOS digital cameras.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you visit an online camera store, like Canon or B&H, you can see a list of compatible accessories like lenses, batteries, and on-camera flashes and Speedlites.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Does OP have a budget. The Canon 430EX III-RT is a good speedlite. If on a budget the 430EX II is a good speedlite too. Speedlites released prior to the 580EX II and 430EX II are not compatible with the external speedlite control menu that has been included with all Canon cameras released since 2007. Speedlite setting changes must be done on the speedlite itself ie flash exposure compensation or wireless master/ slave settings.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... quit making weird proprietary parts where universal parts should be."

It isn't Canon's job or desire to make their cameras compatible with all aftermarket gear. Why would any maker do that?  After all, Canon is in business to sell you Canon products.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements