cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Question

robertlc1616
Apprentice

True or false...............

I had seen a lot of people talk about how once you put on a flash on the camera it makes your exposure brighter than it is. I didn't think this applied to me at the time BECAUSE I didn't have a flash on top of the camera.
HOWEVER I did have the setting "Flash Firing" ENABLED under "External Speedlight Control" even though I did not have a flash or trigger on top of my camera. When turned off, it reduced my exposure by the proper amount and among minimal testing has fixed the over exposure issue I had.
5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What camera do you have and what shooting mode?

I never noticed the phenomena you are describing, but just now did a deliberate test measuring exposure with External Speedlite control menu setting to enable and disable. No change in calculated exposure for the camera.

My camera does not have a built-in flash.

Tried with and without external Speedlite installed (powered off). Same results.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A little confusing, did you or did you not have a flash no matter where it was in use at the time? A dedicated flash sends out a signal to help determine settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

robertlc1616
Apprentice

It was referenced from an individual on the subject. I own the R, R6 & R5 and have noticed nothing. I thought I would pose the question to others to see if there was any possibility of this. 

OK. Understood. Without knowing exactly what the other person was doing it's hard to say why he observed what he reports.

Your experience is what I saw and would expect.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

robertlc1616
Apprentice

I think hes confusing the menu settings as opposed to the flash being on or off and changing the histogram.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements