cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash Not Synced | Canon EOS Rebel SL2

taliasurges
Apprentice

FYI - I am an amateur. It seems my camera's flash does not sync up appropriately with photo capture. I have completed a factory reset. I will intentionally turn flash on - sometimes it will flash moments before the photo is taken and sometimes it will not flash at all. Are there any additional settings I might be missing or is it most likely a defect requiring repair?

3 REPLIES 3

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Are you using the built in flash or an external speedlite (flash) mounted in the hot shoe. Are you sure the flash has recharged if the flash is firing an AF Assist Beam. Heavy use of the AF Assist Beam will discharge the built in flash quickly. The camera will report a "Busy" message along with a lightning bolt in the viewfinder and on the LCD screen. What mode is the camera set to Green Square, M, Av, Tv, P or any other fully automated shooting mode.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

1) I am using built in flash

2) If I'm understanding right, I don't have an AF Assist Beam so I don't think this is the issue.

3) Right now camera is on green square and I am manually selecting "built-in flash on"

Your camera pulses the built in flash rapidly (Intermittent Flash Firing) to assist the camera's AF system in low light and low contrast situations. The camera needs contrast to lock focus. What may seem "dim" to you is too dark for the camera to AF. So what is the ambient lighting that you're trying to shoot in. Please list the full name of the lens. All versions of the EF-S 18-55mm kit lenses have a variable aperture. The more you zoom in the less light enters the camera. So an already dim room will appear to the camera as being dark and won't lock focus.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements