cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! EOS R5 Mark II vs EOS R6 Mark II for Australia trip

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my airline tickets to Australia.  I'll be leaving on 9-19-24 returning on 9-30-24.  So, I'm deciding whether to bring my R6 Mark II or my new R5 Mark II 🤔   I don't want to bring both as I like to travel light.  One camera body and two lenses maybe three. So I'd like to get your opinion on what camera body I should bring. 

A. R5 Mark II  or  B. R6 Mark II.  

What say you all ?

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Good for your for coming to my neighbour: the land of Oz - it's a great country to visit!   You may be pressed for time as it's about the same size as the continental USA!  Which parts are you visiting?

The good thing is that Oz generally has a lot of light, especially as they hit spring, so you should not have issues with low light performance.  TBH, I would take the R5II for the unique features it offers.  Just bring a bunch of batteries!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

I'm looking forward to visiting again after 10 years.  I imagine a lot has changed!   Spring in Australia should be nice.  You'll be only a hop, skip and jump away.  😆   

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Joe ,

R5II all the way.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ctitanic
Rising Star

Both are good cameras and nothing will go wrong if you take any one of them. That said, if you take the R5 Mk2 you need to think about storage space. Files produced by this camera are twice bigger than the ones produced by the R6 Mk2. In 10 days you may collect few GBs of images. Consider taken with you a backup external HDD, even if you pick the R6.

There are other things to be considered when traveling like the risks of losing your camera. Considering that you may want to take the cheaper of the two.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@JFG wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my airline tickets to Australia.  I'll be leaving on 9-19-24 returning on 9-30-24.  So, I'm deciding whether to bring my R6 Mark II or my new R5 Mark II 🤔   I don't want to bring both as I like to travel light.  One camera body and two lenses maybe three. So I'd like to get your opinion on what camera body I should bring. 

A. R5 Mark II  or  B. R6 Mark II.  

What say you all ?

The only caution I would offer is be sure that you are tot ally satisfied that the brand new camera (R5) is fully reliable compared to your older camera. "Infant mortality" problems exist in any new device.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements