Firmware update

Yuuki
Apprentice

I am trying to upgrade the firmware on my R6. It is in P, full battery, The SD card shows the firmware update on the computer. When I insert the card and go to Firmware update, the camera doesn't recognize it. I must be missing  a step. I have opened it on the computer, copied it, pasted it, still not successful.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When doing a firmware update, the camera looks for the file in the root folder of the directory structure.  I use a memory card that is dedicated for doing firmware updates.  I format the card in the computer, and then copy the firmware file to the only folder on the memory card, the root folder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I re formated on the computer as EX FAT. Copied the firmware, 1.5.2 dmg.

Still won't recognize the card.

Card is a Lexar 2000, 32gb

Yuuki,

You wrote,

“I’ve formatted on the computer as EX FAT. Copied the firmware, 1.5.2 dmg.”
and
“Card is a Lexar 2000, 32gb”

The card is an HDSC card. EX-FAT is for HDXC. Does that make a difference?

Steve Thomas

See my post.  

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

It is better to format the card on the camera rather than the computer, as that is the device that has to read the information.  Leaving that aside, the file that is needed to be read in your camera is a .FIR file.  The DMG file that you downloaded is a compressed file (like a zip file) that you need to expand on your Apple computer to generate the FIR file and should also generate a PDF with instructions on how to proceed.  Basically, you copy the FIR file to the root directory of your SD card and then put it into the camera. 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Got it.  Didn't realize the DMG was really a zip file.  Done and works. Thank you very much.

Please mark as resolved so others can find the solution and people here won't keep trying to resolve the issue! 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements