cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware Updates and sequencing for EOS M50 (Not the Mk II)

GRK_Astronomer
Apprentice

I have a Canon EOS M50 and the firmware is at 1.0.0.  There are three updates in the support area for this camera, v1.0.2, v1.0.3, and v1.1.0.  Each of the directions say that the updates are for previous versions, so:

• v1.1.0 says v1.0.3
  • v1.0.3 says v1.0.2
  • v1.0.2 says v1.0.1

The problem is that there isn't a Firmware Update v1.0.1 on the support site.  So my question is this:  Do these Firmware updates have to be applied consecutively,  1.0.0 --> [1.0.1] --> 1.0.2 --> 1.0.3 --> 1.1.0, or can the firmware be updated directly from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0?  Obviously, there is an issue if they have to be applied consecutively without a version 1.0.1 available on the site.  I am generally use too being able to apply updates moving forward without having to chain them together.

Thanks for the help!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Stephen

Hello!

When you go to the Firmware tab HERE, then select version 1.1.0, you'll see a red link under "Supporting Documents" that says "Driver/Software Details." If you read through that section, you'll see there's a Q&A that says the following: 

Q: Are the improvements from previous firmware versions included in Firmware Version 1.1.0?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:

It then goes on to detail the many revisions the firmware includes.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The firmware instructions should mention the required firmware version(s) you'll need to have prior to applying the new one.   In many cases, you can indeed skip applying prior versions (i.e. don't have to apply them consecutively). 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Stephen

Hello!

When you go to the Firmware tab HERE, then select version 1.1.0, you'll see a red link under "Supporting Documents" that says "Driver/Software Details." If you read through that section, you'll see there's a Q&A that says the following: 

Q: Are the improvements from previous firmware versions included in Firmware Version 1.1.0?
A: Yes, the following improvements from the previous version are included:

It then goes on to detail the many revisions the firmware includes.

I hope this helps!

Thank-you.  I read though this in the update documentation and it just seems like they cherry picked changes from 1.0.1, 1.0.2, and 1.0.3 which leaves you feeling whether something was missed.  I found it odd that v1.0.1 firmware update was not on the website at all.  Clearly, Canon needs to improve a bit on the directions since their statement, "This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware up to Version 1.0.3." leads one to believe that they must be done sequentially.  YouTube "How to Update" videos leave this out most with comments saying you have to load 1.0.3 first and other's who just ignored it which shows that there are other people confused by the lack of definite update strategy as I am.  Anyway, I will just plow my way through this and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply, Stephen

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The firmware instructions should mention the required firmware version(s) you'll need to have prior to applying the new one.   In many cases, you can indeed skip applying prior versions (i.e. don't have to apply them consecutively). 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the reply, Ricky.  You and Stephen came out this from different perspectives that led basically to the same conclusion.  Just wish Canon were better at simply saying you do or don't need previous updates.  My Dream World, LOL.

Thanks again!

Announcements