cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request R5: Backup Camera Settings externally

gm333
Apprentice

(I know, no one on the forum can help, but maybe if the thread is picked up by enough people or gets enouh Kudos, Canon will notice)

Since the R series Cameras have such a lot of settings compared to DSLRs, it would be great to be able to back them all up externally. Just export them to a file on card or via cable to a computer. I would like to archive different settings for different projects for example.

Others have the same problem:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4411542

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

Ray-uk
Whiz

@gm333 wrote:

Since the R series Cameras have such a lot of settings compared to DSLRs,

Do they really have more settings ?

Sadly Canon only offers this option with the Top of the range 1 series models, it would be helpful if all of their cameras had it.

A lot more custom-buttons and so on possible, which is great, but a pain when lost.

@Ray-uk wrote:

@gm333 wrote:

Since the R series Cameras have such a lot of settings compared to DSLRs,

Do they really have more settings ?

Sadly Canon only offers this option with the Top of the range 1 series models, it would be helpful if all of their cameras had it.

I strongly agree. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've advocated for it in this forum at least once. And it should be easy to add in firmware.

One case in which it would be useful is if you have two cameras of the same model (as I once did) and want to keep their settings in sync.

EDIT: In fact, little of it needs to be done in firmware. Most of the heavy lifting should be able to be done in the EOS Utility.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Agree, should have a camera settings setup/backup in EOS Utility.

Easy to configure a second body exactly the same.

Would love to see the camera settings in a readable text file - XML or JSON for instance.

Then it would be very easy to compare your setup to see what you have changed.

Yes, such a XML, JSON based dump method via EOS Utility would be enough or even port the function from the EOS 1DX firmware which implements this quite nicely.

Ciao, Bernd

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It would be a nice feature.  Meanwhile, I use Custom Shooting Modes to save settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Right, but that's limited to three slots and no backup in case the interbal storage gets messed up or needs to be reset.

But It shows, that some sort of setup file must be stored somewhere internally anyway, if it can be easily recalled via C1, C2,...

Announcements