cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External flash AF assist beam problem (5D and 30D)

lly3988
Rising Star

I used a 90 Ex and 270EX on a Canon 5D (classic) and the 30D for the purpose of testing AF assist beam in low light enviroment. There isn't any burst of beams from the 2 flashes to assist in focusing on both cameras.

Both flashes are working well on 40D, T4i and 5D iii giving burst of beams when half press for AF.

They just won't respond when they are put on the 5D and 30D when half press the shutter button. Both cameras have no problem firing the 2 flashes when pics are taken.

I have enable the feature in the menu of both 30D and 5D and the batteries are fresh and work well on all other cameras mentioned. 30D built-in flash has no problem flashing AF assist beams.

I have also cleared the camera settings and custom settings. I used the same lens in AF mode in the experiment.

Both 30D and 5D are very old design. Is it a compatibilty problem ? Will anybody please suggest a solution or share their experience in this regard.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

lly3988
Rising Star

Found this link :

http://www2.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos5d_05.htm

AF assit paragraph

nicechris
Contributor

I will find some useful ideas for you

Thanks. I'm still waiting

@lly3988 wrote:

Thanks. I'm still waiting

I guess we're wondering exactly what the problem is. You say you don't see the AF assist beam. But why would you, given that those flash units produce it, by default, in the near infra-red? If the camera isn't auto-focusing, then I guess you have a problem. Otherwise, what's the issue?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

lly3988
Rising Star
I sent an inquiry to Canon. Got the reply that it's a compatibility problem. 270EX support AF assist beam only from 40d and newer models.
May be 430EX will support this function on 30D and 5D. Will have to find out.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@lly3988 wrote:

I used a 90 Ex and 270EX on a Canon 5D (classic) and the 30D for the purpose of testing AF assist beam in low light enviroment. There isn't any burst of beams from the 2 flashes to assist in focusing on both cameras.

Both flashes are working well on 40D, T4i and 5D iii giving burst of beams when half press for AF.

They just won't respond when they are put on the 5D and 30D when half press the shutter button. Both cameras have no problem firing the 2 flashes when pics are taken.

I have enable the feature in the menu of both 30D and 5D and the batteries are fresh and work well on all other cameras mentioned. 30D built-in flash has no problem flashing AF assist beams.

I have also cleared the camera settings and custom settings. I used the same lens in AF mode in the experiment.

Both 30D and 5D are very old design. Is it a compatibilty problem ? Will anybody please suggest a solution or share their experience in this regard.

Thank you.

The 90EX and 270EX require cameras that are capable of controlling the flash features from the camera menu.

The 5D and 30D do not have that capability. And honestly I'm surprised the 40D does.

Yes. Both 30D and 5D have the same menu of flash feature. They don't have wireless, HSS features but will definitely control some basic features.

5D menu.jpg

The problem is that 90EX and 270EX are newer speedlites that don't support the older cameras -5D and 30D. They both work fine on 40D giving pre-flash. (not just flash metering but also AF assist beam)

Find out that 430EX will support the older cameras. Don't have one to test it out yet.

May be even the older 420EX or any other speedlites with LED lamps and the ST-E2 will do the job.

@lly3988 wrote:

Yes. Both 30D and 5D have the same menu of flash feature. They don't have wireless, HSS features but will definitely control some basic features.

5D menu.jpg

The problem is that 90EX and 270EX are newer speedlites that don't support the older cameras -5D and 30D. They both work fine on 40D giving pre-flash. (not just flash metering but also AF assist beam)

Find out that 430EX will support the older cameras. Don't have one to test it out yet.

May be even the older 420EX or any other speedlites with LED lamps and the ST-E2 will do the job.

That is the built-in flash control menu, not an external flash control menu like your 5D Mk III has. 

5D doesn't have a built-in flash. So it is for external for sure.

Thanks.

Announcements