cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos T5i Auto Focus problems

paulo99
Apprentice

Hi, I have this brand new camera T5i and I haven't used it for over a week- however when I turned the camera on I noticed that the lens didn't auto rotate. Usually when I turn it on or off the lens tends to do it's all little thing...but nothing. I took some pics and the picture get focused howeve the lens didn't make that usual noise where it turns to one side and the other. I checked the buttons on the lens and are on AF and Stabiliar in ON. I though maybe the problem was with the lens, so I changed it to my other one and the same thing. It's like no power is being powered to the lens. It's not making any noise or rotating at all. I cleaned the little golden chips on the lens and the camera with a dry clothes- but no luck.

Can somone let me know if there is a setting that I may have touched as I'm new to this camera? Can you tell me if there is any way I can reset it to factory settings? Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know if this will answer your question, but if you have an STM lens it won't do anything unless you press the shutter button. The lens is all "fly by wire" and it doesn't get a signal until the shutter button is depressed at least half way. See page 346 of manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I don't know if this will answer your question, but if you have an STM lens it won't do anything unless you press the shutter button. The lens is all "fly by wire" and it doesn't get a signal until the shutter button is depressed at least half way. See page 346 of manual.

Would it behave the other way if the camera were in "AI Servo" autofocus mode?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No, it behaves the same. Actually, if its an STM lens it doesn't move or make any noise at all. That's the STM feature so it doesn't get picked up when recording videos.

Question to paulo99 - what lens do you have?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"Actually, if its an STM lens it doesn't move or make any noise at all."

You must have glossed over this statement.

"Usually when I turn it on or off the lens tends to do it's all little thing...but nothing."

Unless he is mistaken and has forgot what it used to do and what it is doing now!   At any rate, as long as the pictures it takes are good, I wouldn't worry about it or try to fix it.  It may be nothing.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I didn't gloss over that.

Most T5i cameras come with STM lenses. But if he moved up from an earlier camera it might not have had an STM lens. If he happened to have two lenses then that could explain what is happening.

Also, none of my lenses do anything when I turn the camera on; non-STM lens "do their thing" audibly when the shutter button is pressed.

I think we've given the OP enough to consider.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi, thanks you guys...I've notice that STM lens don't make noise to auto focus. I have no idea why I had the impression that it first did make noise. I'm almost sure it did, but I called Canon and he told me that the lenses I have are STM so it's one of the pros of having this lens as it quite. Again, not sure if the Christmas egg nog damaged a few brain cells of mine lol.

Smiley Very Happy

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I cleaned the little golden chips on the lens and the camera with a dry clothes- but no luck."

STOP!    Don't do that any more.  It is rarely a problem anyway.  The gold plating on those contacts is thin and fragile.

If you must, use a q-tip and denatured alcohol to wipe them clean.

EB

JeffColburn
Apprentice

Hi,

With the T5i you have to press the shutter button half way to make the lens focus, no matter what lens you have.

Have Fun,

Jeff

If you're looking for Fine Art and Stock images of Arizona, visit www.JeffColburn.com
Announcements