cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7i Yellow light on & won't take pictures

Sparky1783
Apprentice

My camera was splashed with a wave but not drenched in water and now it won't work. The yellow light in front is on even when the camera is switched to off. The only way to get the light off is to take the battery out of the camera. Please help!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Salt water?  Water and DSLRs do not mix, especially Rebel DSLRs because they are not weather sealed.  Salt water is even more disagreeable.  The camera may be a total loss.

Stop turning it on.  Remove the battery and memory card.  Leave their doors open.  Remove any lens.  Lay the camera down with the open mirror box down, so nothing can fall inside of it.  Put it in a warm place for a couple of weeks, and hope for the best.  Honestly, the prospects of the camera recovering seem slim to none.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Put it in a warm place for a couple of weeks, and hope for the best."

The advice given in this post is something I have told people to try for years and years. It has a history of success. However, not explained exactly is the "warm place" is a normal heating pad set to warm.  Not hot just warm! Salt water doesn't help the success rate but what have you got to lose so give it a try.

One of the worse things you can do is turn it on.  People always do that because they are so upset their electronic gear got wet and they are anxious to know if it still works.

Start shopping for a T8i. Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I had the exact thing happen with my T3i - it was salt water - and the camera was dead. I got a new T6S.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Not worth repairing.  When unprotected electronics are exposed to salt water, the only possible fix requires immediate and radical action which is immediate removal of all batteries and flushing with a copious amount of fresh (preferably distilled water) followed by proper drying. 

Electromechanical devices often don't respond well to wet flushing and that is especially true of very open devices like the Rebel.  Pure electronic devices (cf portable communications devices) can generally be saved by this flush and dry process but devices with lubricated precision moving parts or internal optics are an entirely different deal.  A camera would require complete teardown, cleaning, and lubrication after the flush process.  Worth it for a Hasselblad medium format, not for a Canon Rebel.

Or in short, it is toast so don't waste money trying to repair. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements