cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 won't fire strobe via Godox X3 S trigger

rynsthetic
Apprentice

So I recently purchased a godox x3 s trigger for my sk400ii. It connects to my strobe fine but won’t trigger when I shoot on my camera (eos rebel t7). It seems that it’s not even connected to my camera at all when I slide it into the hot shoe, I believe that may be the issue. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, should I try an adapter? I’m pretty new to the game honestly, any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you exchange the X3S for a X3C, you will probably be alright. 

The Godox X3C is compatible with the Canon E-TTL II system. Most 3rd party E-TTL units wil also work with a T7 that lacks the center flash pin.(but not always)

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'll get one of our flash experts to help.  Probably Mike or Demetrius.  You'll only get full camera menu integration if you use a Canon flash or wireless controller.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Have you tried p4pictures (Brian) too.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

If your camera lacks the big center contact on the hot shoe. You can only use Canon's own gear. Some Rebel series cameras lack the center contact. Which makes 3rd party speedlites and transmitters incompatible with your camera. Are you trying to use live view (rear LCD screen to take pictures). The flash will not fire on a Rebel series camera if you are. 

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

I’ve used another 3rd party speedlite that works fine, I went the 3rd party route to save money. I unfortunately can’t afford the more expensive equipment that canon offers, I’m forced to work with what I have at the moment. I believe I should try out an adapter for my issue.

Is this unit is not capable of E-TTL. It will won't work with your camera.

-Demetrius

If you're using live view (the rear LCD screen) it won't fire either.

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Yes..  Brian too😀😀😂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not familiar with the Godox lines. All I do know is that they are better than brands like Neewer by a mile.

Try this!  Make sure to turn off the camera before mounting the on-camera flash.  Mount the the flash and turn it on. Once done, now turn the camera on.  I suspect the firmware in some bodies only interrogate the hot shoe for hardware on power up. My 6D2 was like that. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Turns out I had the wrong x3 device! Lol needed the x3c instead of x3s

Announcements