cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 camera and a Vivitar 80-200 zoom lens

smithave
Contributor

I have a new Canon EOS Rebel T7 camera that I would like to pair with an old Vivitar 80-200 zoom lens. Does Canon have an adapter that would allow me to attach the Vivitar lens to the Rebel camera? 

I would appreciate any guidance.

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ray. Just go to the Canon refurb site via the link I posted and click "Add to Cart" if you want to buy it. Great price and it comes with a 1 year warranty like a new product. I have purchased many Canon refurb items and never a problem. The net price of the lens will be lower than posted because you won't be spending money on an adapter for your older lens.

I had that lens when I had my Rebel. It produces high quality images that stand up well to cropping for even closer reach.

Here is full image and zoom in at 100% of the belt area.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 082227.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-28 082327.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

normadel
Authority
Authority

Is this an old manual-focus lens?  There are numerous adapters (not from Canon) to mount your lens on a Canon DSLR body. 

The problems are:

1. You will not have any auto focus or aperture control. Manual only.

2. The adapters to a Canon DSLR have an optical element in them to provide for infinity focus, and these elements are not very good image quality. I have one from Fotodiox that has a removable element, so you don't lose image quality, at the expense of infinity focus. But, interestingly enough, a mirror lens focuses PAST infinity and infinity-focuses just fine.

The adapters are cheap, so you COULD try one out to see what you think of it. I only use mine with an old FD-mount Vivitar 500mm mirror lens.

Canon DID make an FD-to-EF adapter that was said to be of very high optical quality. It was very expensive, and it is very rare. I have never actually seen one.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@smithave wrote:

I have a new Canon EOS Rebel T7 camera that I would like to pair with an old Vivitar 80-200 zoom lens. Does Canon have an adapter that would allow me to attach the Vivitar lens to the Rebel camera? 

I would appreciate any guidance.

Ray

Consider this lens.

Shop Canon Refurbished EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon U.S.A., In

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John, thanks so much for your response. Do have a good source for those lenses that you mentioned? I know so little about good cameras and lenses that I could easily make a mistake by purchasing the wrong device.

Ray

Hi Ray. Just go to the Canon refurb site via the link I posted and click "Add to Cart" if you want to buy it. Great price and it comes with a 1 year warranty like a new product. I have purchased many Canon refurb items and never a problem. The net price of the lens will be lower than posted because you won't be spending money on an adapter for your older lens.

I had that lens when I had my Rebel. It produces high quality images that stand up well to cropping for even closer reach.

Here is full image and zoom in at 100% of the belt area.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 082227.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-28 082327.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John:

WOW to the pic! That's the kind of closeup detail I am looking for. I am EXTREMELY impressed with you folks on the Canon Community Group. Y'all are the best  responders and helpers I have ever encountered. Thanks so much for helping out a newby!

I took y'alls advice and bought the refurbished ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm lens today--$185 including tax. Can't wait to get it on the camera and go to work.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Ray

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Ray,

I see that others have chimed in and also recommended as I did in my initial reply that a compatible lens would be a better option.  I am glad you are considering it now.  I owned the 55-250 previously.  Its light and capable with good IQ.  It will run circles around your 80-200.  It won't require any adapters and will perform AF and aperture for you.  Its also got IS, so your images will be "steady as she goes". Its extremely light and I believe it will exceed your expectations.  I know you will enjoy it. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick:

I took your advice, and that of others, and bought a refurbished ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm lens today--$185 including tax. With all of y'all's recommendation, I know this will be a good solution to my problem. 

As I have shared with others, I am EXTREMELY impressed with you folks on the Canon Community Group. Y'all are the best  responders and helpers I have ever encountered. 

Can't wait to get started. Thanks again.

Ray

Ray,

If it doesn't come with a printed manual, you can find one online in pdf format.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

HI Ray,

Happy to hear this.  We will look forward to seeing some images in the "Share Your Photos" section. 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements