cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 camera and a Vivitar 80-200 zoom lens

smithave
Contributor

I have a new Canon EOS Rebel T7 camera that I would like to pair with an old Vivitar 80-200 zoom lens. Does Canon have an adapter that would allow me to attach the Vivitar lens to the Rebel camera? 

I would appreciate any guidance.

Ray

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ray. Just go to the Canon refurb site via the link I posted and click "Add to Cart" if you want to buy it. Great price and it comes with a 1 year warranty like a new product. I have purchased many Canon refurb items and never a problem. The net price of the lens will be lower than posted because you won't be spending money on an adapter for your older lens.

I had that lens when I had my Rebel. It produces high quality images that stand up well to cropping for even closer reach.

Here is full image and zoom in at 100% of the belt area.

Screenshot 2023-04-28 082227.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-28 082327.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There is a small possibility that this lens could work manually.  What lens mount does it have?

Canon doesn't sell adapters for this.  It would be 3rd party if its even possible / available.  Vello makes a FD to EF-S

shadowsports_0-1682606874386.png

Honestly, its not worth it.  I had a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 Macro Zoom in 1978.  So you are trying to pair technologies with a 30+ year time span between them.  I would recommend buying a lens designed for your camera.  Thats up to you though.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, Rick. Best Buy has a 200mm zoom lens for the Rebel T7--over a thousand dollars. I am not THAT good a photographer. Plus it was so heavy I could not have held the camera steady enough to take an unfuzzy pic.The Vivitar 8-200 is much lighter than the Canon. Do you know where I  might get an adapter for a Vivatar zoom and a Rebel T7? 

Thanks so much for your help. As you can tell, I am a novice cameraman with a limited budget.

Ray

Thanks so much for your reply. I am such a novice, tho, I understood very little of what you said. The Vivitar zoom lens I have is 80-200--you manually dial up the settings. It is old--maybe 40 years old. I had attached it in the past to a non-digital camera and the combination worked well for what it was. I bought a digital Rebel T7 with a "zoom" up to 55mm thinking I could get DETAILED CLOSE-UP pictures of the wildlife in my backyard but the 55 mm lens does not give me the CLOSE-UP DETAIL I was looking for. Best Buy had a Canon 80-200 mm zoom for the Rebel camera--for over a thousand dollars which I could not afford (nor technically appreciate.}. PLUS that lens/camera was so HEAVY I could not have taken an unfuzzy picture just holding the camera. I would have had to mount the camera on a tripod which would make the setup too visible to the subjects.

I have an 80-200 zoom --no expense--plus it is much lighter than the Canon zoom IF I could just figure a way to attach it to the new Canon body.

Thanks again for listening and for trying to help.

Ray

These old manual lenses from film cameras are fun to use and some of them work as well on a digital camera as they ever did on a film camera so I think that you should keep the lens.

A problem with using theses old film camera lenses on a DSLR is that the distance from the sensor to the flange on the lens becomes too large when an adapter is inserted. For the newer R series cameras this is not a problem. I use a 45 year old Minolta lens from a film camera on my EOS R5 using an Urth brand adapter that cost less than $40, but I guess that you would lose infinity focus on your camera but still be able to use your 80-200 for macro.

I agree with others that

"

Refurbished EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

• Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 55-250mm, 1:4-5.6
  • Lens Construction: 15 elements in 12 groups
  • Diagonal Angle of View: 27° 50' - 6° 15'
$169.00 $239.99
In Stock

" would be a better deal for your camera because it has longer reach and is a good lens. I would suggest saving your old lens until you can afford a mirrorless camera and then enjoy the fun of putting it to use.

Canon refurbished purchased from Canon have seemed to me to be as good as new.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/lenses/refurbished-lenses

I suggest avoiding the even cheaper 75-300.

EDIT: I became curious and found this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-80-200mm-f4-macro-focusing-zoom-mc.html

Ray,

I tried that approach myself when I first got started, and finally gave up in frustration.

I couldn't hold the camera steady, and decided my eyes weren't good enough any more to trust manually focusing. I had to rely on the camera's auto focusing system.

A really good solution for me was to save up for a little while and get a 55-250mm Is STM lens. They only run about $250.00 and is a great lens.

Steve Thomas

Steve, thanks so much for responding! I so appreciate all of you pros taking the time to help a newbie.

Do you have a good source for the "55-250mm Is STM lens"? I guess they could tell me which model, etc. fits a Rebel T7.

Ray

Ray,

Two Johns have pointed you to Canon's site where you can get a refurbished Canon 55-250mm  IS STM lens for $169.00, right from the source, and it's in stock, and yes, it will work on your T7.

It's a good deal, I think.

Steve Thomas

Steve:

I bought the refurbished ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm lens today--$185 including tax. Thanks for your response and for your input. This Canon Forum is one of the best I have ever communicated with.

Ray

Ray,

Two thumbs up!

Share a couple of pictures when you get your new lens.

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements