cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Memory card wouldn't come out

phhudson
Contributor

I have a Canon t7 camera.  One that I have had for approx. 2 years.  Today after taking photos I went to remove the chip from the camera and it would only come out a couple of mm.  I was able to remove it eventually. 

The chip that I removed from the camera would not fit into a chip reader.  I tried a different chip and cannot place it into the camera.  I was able to download the photos from the chip that I removed from the camera. 

My question is: 1) has anyone run into this before? 2) If so, can this be repaired at a reasonable price? 3) Would I be better off if I just purchased a new body or refurbished t7 camera.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Please let us know the outcome. It may be help for others. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Was it a full size SD card or a microSD with adapter. What damage did the card suffer?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

It was a full size SD that I have used in the past.  I tried a different SD chip that I had and that didn’t slide in easily either.    Therefore I didn’t force the issue 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If undamaged, you should be able to insert or remove an SD card from a body with little effort.  The slot has a spring-loaded retention mechanism.  Damage can occur if a card is inserted backwards. or correctly with excessive force.  Excessive heat can also damage a card or slot.  Heat can be caused by a faulty or malfunctioning battery.  Inexpensive, counterfeit or 3rd party that lack safety or protection features are examples.

Non-brand name or counterfeit cards can also cause issues.  Only full size cards should be used.  We recommend buying brand name cards from reputable sellers.  Avoid Amazon or marketplace sellers. 

A camera with a damaged slot would need to be inspected by Canon to determine the cost to repair.  Start here:

MyCanon

If the cost to repair exceeds replacement, we can help you identify your next body.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your reply, didn’t force the SD card in which is name brand ( tried a different SD card same result) battery is Canon, will contact Canon. Appreciate your comments and concerns would like to upgrade camera  using lenses I already have

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Get a light and look inside the slot. Is there anything obstructing it. Perhaps some dirt or something sticky.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Did check, can’t see anything wrong.  Appreciate your thoughts 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You might try, probably won't help but easy to do, some alcohol on a qtip and wipe out the inside of the slot. If the SD pops up the spring is OK but still may be some sticky substance in there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your thoughts, I didn’t see your response till after I sent the camera to Canon.  Thanks to all

Please let us know the outcome. It may be help for others. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements