cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 LCD screen went black

SuzieQ2
Apprentice

Hello, I purchased my Canon EOS Rebel T7 back in August 2020.  I didn't begin using it until May 2022 when I became interested in wildlife (specifically birds) photography.  It's been a great camera until this point.  Recently, I had the LCD screen suddenly go blank.  It appeared the camera was still taking photos, although it was beeping.  I read a suggestion in the forum to do a hard reset.  It miraculously cured the problem.  I used the camera a few times since without issue.  Suddenly today, the LCD screen went black again.  Any idea what's going on?

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try hitting the "info" or "Disp" button.

Or sometimes the eye cup slips and covers the LCD eye sensor.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I used the camera a few times since without issue. "

We need a lot more info. Exactly 'how' are you using the camera. What settings are you trying to use. The more detail you can supply the better chance someone here will be able to solve the issue. Most of the time, not all the time but most, the camera is doing exactly what you tell it to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

SuzieQ2
Apprentice

For the most part, I put the camera on "automatic" and use it in basic zone.  My lens, however, I put on manual focus because I like that control.  The flash drove me crazy, so a while ago I changed the dial to "flash off."  Since the problem started with the blank monitor & image playback, the access lamp flashes red but there's no other activity when I turn on the power.

zakslm
Rising Star
Rising Star

SuzieQ2,

I'm thinking that the problem can be solved as kvbarkley suggests.

Hope this helps!

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

SuzieQ2
Apprentice

Okay, this is freaky.  I switched the camera on & pressed the display button, but nothing happened.  Then, I tried again, and it worked.  It went black again, though.  So, I assume it is timing out.  Perhaps with the reset, something changed.  I never adjusted that previously and the monitor had always remained up with the camera being on.

SuzieQ2,

I'm starting to think/guess that it might be a power/battery problem.  I re-read your orginial post and I don't think that you mentioned if you could still take a photo (press the shutter button down, hear the click, etc. and record a photo on the SD card) when the back screen is blacked out.  Or, if you look through the viewfinder, press the shutter button half way and viewfinder display lights up and an active focus point glows?  If not, I would suspect that the battery may be faulty or a contributing factor.  

I'm guessing here and certainly stretching what little knowledge I have of these things, but even if the battery is fully charged and showing that it is fully charged (on the charger and/or per the battery indicator on the back screen when the back screen is visible), the battery may be faulty or just worn out.  It may not be putting out sufficient voltage to power all of the camera's required functions and processes. 

Since the battery is per your purchase date 4 years old and was inactive for about 2 years (not really used until 5-2022) it may have degraded or worn out.  I don't know what the expected useful life of the rechargeable battery should be for the T7, but I would guess that 4 years puts it at or near it's life expectancy even if 2 of those years were inactive.  If you have a newer or spare battery to try, charge it up and see if that solves your problem.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like a flaky Disp button to me.

And again, make sure the eyecup is seated properly.

SuzieQ2
Apprentice

As it turns out, I invested in a new battery about a week ago.  I thought it may be the problem.  When the battery arrived, I tried it with no change.  My husband told me I needed to charge the battery.  I did, but that did not help.  Thank you all, I appreciate your feedback.  If anyone has other ideas, please feel free to send them my way.

Announcements