cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Image quality

Mark67
Contributor

Can anyone help? I am rather new to photography I have a rebel T7 and have been doing alot of nature, wildlife and astro photography. I have been shooting in RAW mode when I try to enlarge the pictures it tells me "low image quality" but it looks fantastic on the computer any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or how to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can understand your challenges.  Is there any way you can send the file to such a printing agency electronically?  They can then examine the file and let you know if they think it will print OK.  They might even be able to do that and ship the print to you.  Since COVID, most companies can do remote sales and service.

If this resolves your issue, then please mark my solution as a resolution, so others will not continue to try to solve it.  Good luck

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To be honest, we are lacking a lot of information. 

Perhaps post a couple of images, along with the settings for them: such as lens, focal length, shutter speed, and ISO values.

What program are you using when you are getting this message about low quality?  Are you viewing the RAW image or a JPG image within that program?

If you look at the first menu item on your camera's menu there is an item for Image quality, what settings is it showing?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I am shooting most everything in raw but it also takes a jpeg at the same time for my night shots I have been shooting in manual 20" F2.8 ISO 3200 photos look good on the computer but anything over 8x10 and I get a low image quality warning For my day shots I have mostly given up on trying to shoot in manual and have been using auto still get the low image quality on anything over 8x10 I kinda live in the middle of nowhere so the only place I can have photos printed is wallmart probably not the best place but my only option

OK, thanks for that.  How about the resolutions settings for your camera?  As mentioned, can you please advise what the resolution settings are on your camera: Menu, first tab, first page, first item. Thus:Image QUality 1.jpg

Are you significantly cropping your images before printing?

What printer and printer settings are you using, particularly resolution?

cheers, TREVOR

I have been using the raw + L as that gives me 2 copies of each photo. As far a printer settings go I don't beleive those are adjustable as wallmart just has a kiosk you can plug a thumb drive I to also I have not been cropping any of my images. Thank you for your help

Thanks for that.  Can you give me the pixel dimensions of a photo you are trying to print and its MP value please?

cheers, TREVOR

Sorry I don't know how to find that info and I don't currently have my laptop with me

OK,  no worries... Perhaps this might help.  It's a guide to the size of image file you need to print various prints outputs.  To get an idea of this look at the dimensions of your image in pixels.  For printing (as a guide), given the likely print output resolution is 300PPI you translate that to your file size as follows:

For an 8" x 10" =>  8x300 x 10 x300 or if you will print Length x width x resolution(squared).  So, applying that in this example, the resolution for an 8x10 would be around 7.2MP.  If, on the other hand, the printer resolution was set at 600 DPI, then the file size would be 8x600 x 10x600 = 48MP!  So printer resolution has a huge impact on the file size you need.

Check out this article: https://www.photoworkout.com/print-resolution/ , it views the relationship from the other direction, so to speak - check it all out first.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you for the information the link was very helpful. Can't wait to get in front of my computer and play around with some photos.

Good luck with that.  Come back to here  if you need to explore this further.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements