cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T6i LCD Screen works, but not correctly!

ChaChaZee
Contributor

Long story short, I use my EOS Canon Rebel T6i as a webcam with the EOS Webcam Utility. Recently I took it down from it's mount to take pics but the LCD does not want to present itself.

I then noticed that the LCD screen comes back when I plug the camera back into the computer via Mini USB.

I can access the menus and do everything like normal when it's plugged in, but not when it's disconnected. I do notice that when I turn on the camera while unplugged, I can see a "Busy" status through the viewfinder if I hold the shoot button down half way. After the "Busy" status goes away I'm able to flip through between LCD and Viewfinder via the Record button but again the LCD does not want to respond.

I've tried enabling every setting that would allow the LCD to stay on but nothing seems to work. I can't reiterate enough: Connected to PC via Mini USB - LCD Works. Any other way of using the camera, no LCD.

7 REPLIES 7

Unfortunately not. Been at this on and off for some months now before I made this post today. Any help would be much appreciated.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please try pressing / cycling the "Info" button with the camera disconnected and the LCD open.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you perform a settings reset.  Both the main and custom settings.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have exercised these solutions to my issue as well, no results. I even went as far as updating my firmware to the latest version.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is there anything obstructing the sensor near the viewfinder?

If not and a full reset did not restore functionality, your camera will require service.  

Start by registering your device, the proceed with support options:

MyCanon

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I've already inspected and made sure nothing was obstructing the viewfinder. It's just really strange to me that the screen works fine when plugged into the Mini USB but not when I disconnect it from that.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

can access the menus and do everything like normal when it's plugged in, but not when it's disconnected.

That sounds backwards.  The rear LCD should be “inactive” and display a computer icon whenever there is an active connection on the USB port.

Make certain that camera is not in video mode, and switch the top dial to “P”.   This should restore proper operation of the rear LCD.  Once done, I recommend resetting the camera to factory defaults.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Those were my initial thoughts, however there's a loophole I guess? So yeah, camera on (not video) set to "P", no LCD picture and when I look through the viewfinder; if I hold down the capture button halfway I see a blinking "busy" for about a minute or less.

Plug it into my computer, LCD lights up with PC icon but stuck in "busy" mode almost indefinitely.

Open up a broadcasting software such as OBS or a video call software like Skype or Zoom, camera works like normal and LCD is on and accessible.

Announcements