cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3i says Card's Write Protect Switch is set to lock --- but it definitely is not!

scott30575
Apprentice

My Rebel EOS T3i is less than a year old, and for the most part of this almost-a-year, has worked quite well. Two problems have recently arisen:

1) The first problem arose around a month ago, when I noticed that the memory cards stopped "popping out" of the camera. Sometimes they do, but most of the time they do not. I often have to manually pull them out with a pair of tweezers.

2)  Two days ago I started receiving the message:  CARD'S WRITE PROTECT SWITCH IS SET TO LOCK. Accordingly, I am now unable to use my camera. Until two days ago, in the past almost-a-year, I had never received this message before.

The memory card is a top-of-the-line 32GB ScanDisk, and the lock switch is definitely NOT set on lock.  I have also tried two other memory cards, and always receive the same message, even when I have "double-checked" that the lock switch is not set on locked.

Therefore, I am led to believe the problem is with the camera, not with these memory cards.

What can the problem be, for both of these issues? What can be done to resolve these issues without taking the camera to a repair shop.

This camera has been gently handled and used since first purchases. Nothing other than a memory card has been inserted into the memory card opening. And, as mentioned, until about a month ago the memory cards I have used "popped out" instantly. Now they tend to become stuck inside, as often they do not pop right out when depressed.

It would seem to me that I should not be having these problems with this relatively new camera --- don't you agree?

Thanks for any assistance.

Scott Kinney

Atlanta, Georgia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you! I found the tiny switch on the camera card and voila! Problem solved and camera is working. Would have never figured that out on my own!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

sarpatterz wrote:

Took me hours to figure it out but there is a tiny little switch on the side of SD card... nothing at all to do with the camera itself!... but just click it the other way, put it back into the camera and it will work again. 

Er ... yes. That's what this thread is about. We've been discussing that very switch, off and on, since April of 2015.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you! I found the tiny switch on the camera card and voila! Problem solved and camera is working. Would have never figured that out on my own!

timboyd
Apprentice

This also happened to my T5i and you are correct in that something quite small most likely was obstructing it.  Even though my card slid in and out without any jamming I attempted to look inside with a flashlight, but could see nothing.  I attempted to blow it out or tap it out, but that did not work either.  I then took a 3x5 inch index card (or card stock paper) and cut a strip about the size of the SD card and stuffed it into and out of the hole several times hoping to dislodge any debris.  This seemed to do the trick and I no longer have any problem.   My guess is accumulation of dust or lint on the SD card that I used once.  I'm happy to taking photos again and it cost me nothing but the time to read this suggestion.   Happy me!  🙂 

Your little (3X5) card stock trick worked for me almost instantly! My brand new SD card was already in the unlocked position and after attempting to turn it to locked, then back to unlocked, re-insert, inspect the camera SD slot, blow it out with my camera bellow etc., it was your card trick that fixed my problem, God bless you sir!

Announcements