cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 not taking quality pics

ASHDFLASH
Apprentice
I have a 2 yr old Rebel T3. When I first began taking pictures I was very pleased with the quality, clarity and vibrant colors. It seemed every shot was a great one! Within the last 8 months or so... My pictures look "blah"... The color saturation is not as vibrant. The contrast doesn't seem right.. And more of my pics are turning out somewhat blurry or just not as sharp. I've cleared the settings to return to factory settings. Is something just getting worn out from my camera because of use? I've taken over 5,000 pics with it.

Is it the photo card? Do I need a better quality card? Or does the lens or camera that just need a tuneup?

Love my camera...it's only 2 yrs old.... Don't want to have to buy a new one
11 REPLIES 11

hsbn
Whiz

I doubt it it has anything to do with being "old". Try to change Picture Style for the look you want. Neutral and Faithful will provide most natural result but will lack of vibrant and clarity.  Landscapes, Portrait, Standard will be more clarity and vibrant. Or you can use custom style to pump up saturation, sharpness as you'd like.

However, blurry photo could be due to lens malfunction or user error. I have used my Rebel (the original one) for 5 years, and took over 50,000 photos and it is still good besides the battery. My 30D also more than 6 years and over 100k and still doing fine. 5000 photo over 2 years is not a lot, not even consider fair amount. People do shoot that in a day or two.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks for the feedback. I understand I can increase vibrancy and clarity by changing the picture style. My question is that I can tell a significant difference in my pictures within the last 8 months from the way they looked when I first got the camera using the factory default settings. So I was concerned there may be something that needs fine tuning on my camera.

While we haven't seen examples of the images and we haven't inspected your camera, it's HIGHLY unlikely.  I've never seen a digital camera do this.  That's why I mentioned cleanliness of optics, use of any filters (lots of people will buy a "uv filter" to put on front of their lens even though it's not really needed and this can cause a loss of contrast) and differences in lighting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Are you using any type of "protective filter" on the lens?  These can slightly degrade contrast (and cause other issues such as ghosting and flaring).

Remove the lens and look through the glass... is it clear and clean?  Depending on how a lens is stored, it's possible to have a fungus grow on the inside of the lens (the lens usually needs to be in a humid environment for this to occur.)  Fingerprints or dust can be on the front of the lens.

If the optics are dirty, you can loose contrast -- but camera age nor the memory card age wont impact how much color you see in your photos.  There are MANY lighting situations that will affect this. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Another thing to check is the Color Space settong. If your file numbers start wiyj _MG instead of IMG you have set the camera  to Adobe RGB which has a flatter look.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority
This reminded me of something which is probably not relevant here. Off the wall question, but I don't suppose you ever took photos at one of those Indian Holi festivals where they throw colored powder around? I saw a guy reporting dingy photos and the posted example shots were of one of these Holi events. Also Lens Rentals has a "no Holi" policy because the powder gets everywhere inside their lenses and on sensors etc.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You said you reset everything?  You cleared all settings?  New SD card?  Using the same lens combo as you originally did?

If all this is true, everything said above is useless.  If things are not as they were, there is a problem with something.

Did you drop the camera or lens?  Leave it ina hot car?  Let the kids mess with it?  Get it wet? Start looking at what has changed or happened in the time it was great and now.

Is it the "kit" lens?  A good place to start checking out.  BTW, it isn't a filter if you always had ot on the lens.  Did you?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've taken over 5,000 pics with it."

BTW, I have taken 5000 pictures in one afternoon many times doing a wedding.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. To answer... Has not been dropped nor left in a hot car. My kids are teens and don't touch the camera. Don't own a filter so have never used one. Yes.. I've cleared all the settings. But camera has never had a thorough cleaning... Just the outside lens. And yes.. The two lens I use came with the kit.

Also... I seemed to have entertained many with many with my "I've taken 5,000 pics" comment. I wasn't trying to say that was a lot and I know to many of you that number is a good afternoon worth of shooting. I'm just a mom who takes pics of my son playing baseball, my daughter cheering and various events and holidays in the life of my family. 🙂
Announcements