cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 SD Card Not Readable on Mac

Styner
Enthusiast

I currently have a canon Rebel t3 with a new SD 256gb. When I went to put the chip in to my MacBook using an adapter ( to look at my photos) it’s unable to read the chip & now I can’t access my photos. Also when I put the chip back into the camera it says “card can’t be accessed” 

what should I do ?

37 REPLIES 37

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You mentioned an adapter.  Was this card full size or micro?  Micro SD cards are not recommended.  It sounds like the card has become corrupt or unreadable. If the card cannot be read in the camera or on the computer, recovery is likely the only option.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Could this "adapter" really be a USB SD Card reader.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

It’s a USBC adapter that plugs into my Mac book air. What’s the best memory card for a canon Rebel t3? 

Look into a full size SD Card class 10 SD Card. DO NOT use Micro SD cards in an adapter. These are known to cause problems with cameras. Use multiple smaller 32GB SD Cards. Do Not use 1 large SD Card. If the card were to fail all of your pictures would be gone. Using multiple SD Cards will lessen the chance of this happening. Is your current SD Card size or a micro SD Card in an adapter. I noticed that you "chip".

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

Would a 64 GB SD card from Walmart be okay? 

I would try a 32 GB SD Card first. Older cameras are picky about 64GB or larger SD cards. I would go to Best Buy or another reputable retailer to buy memory cards. B&H Photo & Adorama are examples of reputable places. Amazon & eBay are NOT reputable places to buy SD Cards. There have been horror stories in the forum. That they got counterfeit memory cards.

-Demetrius

Do you know any good websites/programs that can recover data from a 256gb SD card ? 

I believe @shadowsports / Rick might know some. I've never had a memory card fail. 

-Demetrius

How do I get in touch with @shadowsports / Rick

Announcements