cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 SD Card Not Readable on Mac

Styner
Enthusiast

I currently have a canon Rebel t3 with a new SD 256gb. When I went to put the chip in to my MacBook using an adapter ( to look at my photos) it’s unable to read the chip & now I can’t access my photos. Also when I put the chip back into the camera it says “card can’t be accessed” 

what should I do ?

37 REPLIES 37

You can PM him in the forum. If you're using a laptop click on the picture that looks like an envelope in the right hand corner. Or on a phone click on your profile picture then click on messages. There you can send him a message. You can also click on his handle name. Which brings you directly to his page. On his page there will be a box that says "Send A Message".

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

We don't recommend blindly private messaging another user unless they ask you to private message them. This could be seen as spam. It's also more helpful in most cases to keep your conversations public so everyone benefits from seeing your resolution - someone else could be having the same problem and you might help them figure out how to fix it! 

What’s the best memory card for a canon Rebel t3? 

How do I go about recovering the data from the card 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Demetrius,

It certainly could be.  We don't have much to go on.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The OP confirmed that this "adapter" is a USB Type C SD Card Reader. But I will also check if there using a Full Sized SD Card. 

-Demetrius
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Styner,

I had the same problem on my Windows laptop.I have a 128gb SDXC card, It was working fine and then one day, it said the card reader couldn't read the card, and when I went to put the card back in my camera, the camera said it couldn't access the card. Scared me to death.

I took the card out and reinserted it. It's reading it OK again, but now I use EOS Utility and a USB cable.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,
Only remaining question is whether the card was full size or micro?

Any fullsize card should be formatted in the camera before use. While its possible to use large capacity cards, we have found 32GB cards to be the most reliable for older cameras as @Demetrius pointed out. Using multiple smaller capacity cards also helps protects your photos. One card is a single point of failure and can ruin an entire day of shooting if it becomes corrupt or fails.

I might try connecting my card reader to another computer before calling it quits on the card and pursuing the recovery option. If the card cannot be read, and has not be formatted there is a good chance images can be recovered.

Almost all card manufacturers offer recovery software. Some free, some paid. Many are usually free to try and if data can be recovered, then you can buy a license.

Photorec is free (CGSecurity), but requires a little more knowledge. I've used it in the past with success.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I’m pretty sure it was micro 

Which one are you using. The one on the top or the one on the bottom.

6293604_sd.jpg

sandisk-extreme-micro-sd-card-64gb-with-sd-adapter-1_2500x.jpg

-Demetrius

Announcements