cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL3 Foggy white around the borders of my screen?

Talon92
Contributor

Hello everyone,

let me preface this by saying that i am quite the novice when it comes to these cameras, and any help would be most appreciated. 

I filmed a video the other day, and when i was looking through the display i noticed that it was foggy around the edges. when i downloaded the footage the white fog was still there. I don't believe any moisture could have gotten in so I'm not sure exactly whats going on here. 

Does anyone know what I can do to fix my camera? Thank you in advance! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That looks like some type of Creative Filter, to me.  What shooting mode are you using on the top dial? 

Do you know how to turn off Creative Filters?  Resetting the camera back to factory defaults should clear it.  You would first need to turn the top dial to “P”, and then look for the reset/restore option in the menus.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

It is the creative filter mode, I have not seen this on any other camera:

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Tiffany

Welcome to the Canon forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know the exact model Canon camera 
you are using. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

It would help to have a lot more information please.  First of all: what camera are you using and what lens(es) does this phenomenon occur with?

If you are having white around the edges, I would suspect that you have light leakage onto the sensor, or that the sensor is damaged.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello sir!

The camera is a EOS Rebel SL3 and the lense is an EFS 18-55mm

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In addition to Tiffanny's request, can you post a screenshot of the video?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Screenshot (194).pngabsolutely! does this work?

Set the camera to Bulb. 

Engage mirror lockup (page 449 and 165 of the camera manual) and remove the lens to look at the shutter. Can yo take a phone picture of shutter?

Since it happens with still images can you post a link to a DropBox or One Drive folder where you put a file we can download? Preferably RAW file. 

Actuate the shutter. Does the shutter open completely and expose the sensor?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hi OP, what camera and lens combo are you using. Do you see the same thing in the viewfinder. As Tronhard pointed out you may have a light in your camera. Are other lenses affected by this same problem or only 1 lens. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hello! The camera is a EOS Rebel SL3 and the lense is an EFS 18-55mm, and this is the only lens i have so im not sure

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does this happen when you take a still image as well or just video. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements