cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL2 External Touchscreen?

johnnymolson
Contributor

TL/DR:  Is it possible to connect a touchscreen externally to be able to control menu functions?

I record myself for video presentations and setup seems to be the biggest struggle.  If I need to adjust a setting, I have to unplug my external monitor, make the adjustments, plug it back in, and see if it worked.

If I were to get a touchscreen as an external monitor, would I be able to control menu functions?

If that can't be done on the SL2, do newer models offer that option?

I've used the app, and the lag and unpredictable connection don't seem to help.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John,

To the best of my knowledge, the EOS Utility software or app that has been mentioned is a Windows based product.

I don't own an iPad, so I am not familiar with the Apple software or products. You might want to research what software or apps are available to remotely control your camera.

The Camera Connect and Control app I mentioned is known to work with an iPad. It's free for 3 days and when I got it, it was $9.99 to purchase. You can get it at the Apple app store..

It looks like your iPad has a USB-C port, so you'll need a cable to run from the camera to either the iPad or to a USB extension cable. Consult your camera manual about the cable you need. I have a T8i, and the camera required a IFC-600PCU interface cable to connect to a USB port, or a USB extension cable. I've been using a 15' cable.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Short answer is no.  Camera output to monitor is only HDMI.  The only solution that you've already tried is the Canon Connect app.  There are 3rd part solutions like Cam Ranger and I've use DSLR controller (not updated recently) for my 5D Mark III.  You could also tether the camera via USB directly to a touchscreen laptop and use the Canon EOS Utility to control your camera.  

Canon Support | EOS Utility | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Great - I didn't even think of the USB connection.  I'm going to see if I can link it to my iPad with that.  Thank you!

Michaelhunt
Contributor

Yes, Canon EOS Rebel SL2 has Touch Screen! Read detailed Canon SL2 Review You may also also be interested in these: Best Cameras with Touch Screen. Switch Access lets you interact with your Android device using one or more switches instead of the touchscreen. Most touch screens don't have external ways to shut them off, but it's actually quite simple to do this through Windows 10.  Sanford My Chart

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

John,

I use a tablet to remotely shoot and review photos  from my camera using an app called Camera Connect and Control. You can make adjustments to your settings using your tablet.

The list of supported cameras includes the Canon SL2.

You can shoot either wirelessly, or wired with your camera connected to your tablet  via a USB cable.

Steve Thomas

Thank you!  I didn't consider the USB connection - that makes sense.  I suspect I can connect it to my iPad

John,

To the best of my knowledge, the EOS Utility software or app that has been mentioned is a Windows based product.

I don't own an iPad, so I am not familiar with the Apple software or products. You might want to research what software or apps are available to remotely control your camera.

The Camera Connect and Control app I mentioned is known to work with an iPad. It's free for 3 days and when I got it, it was $9.99 to purchase. You can get it at the Apple app store..

It looks like your iPad has a USB-C port, so you'll need a cable to run from the camera to either the iPad or to a USB extension cable. Consult your camera manual about the cable you need. I have a T8i, and the camera required a IFC-600PCU interface cable to connect to a USB port, or a USB extension cable. I've been using a 15' cable.

Steve Thomas

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the camera allows for touchscreen control during Live View shooting, then I would expect the same capability be available with touchscreen tablet using the Camera Connect app.  Just be aware that wireless communication with smart device is slow.

Your best option would to use a USB cable connected to a computer.  Assuming the camera is capable of touchscreen control in Live View mode, then you could use a mouse pointer to control the camera settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Great. I hadn't thought of the USB cable.  I should be able to connect it to my iPad, yes? 

@johnnymolson wrote:

Great. I hadn't thought of the USB cable.  I should be able to connect it to my iPad, yes? 

Negative.  Use wireless communications to communicate with a smart device running Canon Connect.  Use USB to communicate with a computer running the EOS Utility.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements