cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 -- Photos aren't uploading

jcolpitts
Apprentice

Hi there,

I use my Rebel SL1 nearly everyday, and I've never had trouble uploading photos by either inserting the SD card into my desktop or using the camera cord to upload the photos to my desktop.

However, I took about 20 pictures over Christmas and for the first time, they won't upload. I can view all of the photos on my camera, however, when they try to upload the message indicates there has been an error, the photo gallery cannot open the photo, and the file format is not supported.

I tried another SD card to determine whether it was the SD card which was broken, but the next SD card I inserted and snapped a photo and tried to upload, the desktop is showing the exact same "cannot open the photo" message.

I'm using the exact same program to view the photos, and the photos were taken on the exact same camera setting as the 2000 other photos that are uploading from my SD card.

So it appears to be the camera (not any specific SD card) that is preventing new photos from uploading to my desktop.

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13

Image quality says says L 18M 5184x3456

(not Raw+L or RAW)

OK, that's JPEG files. if indeed you are doing everything the same as when you could see images in your software it sounds like maybe a camera glitch. Can you insert the SD card in the reader and open the DCIM folder using Windows Explorer? Click on one of the files and see if Explorer can open the file.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Let's go about this from the beginning.

Connect the camera to the computer using the supplied USB cable.

Go into My Computer and open it and see if the camera is there and shows up.  It will be just like another hard drive.

You can click on the icon and open the SD card.  The Windoze built in software is all you need.  The viewer that comes with Windoze with display the photos.

Barring this approch, take the SD cad out of the camera and put it into the Multi-card reader slot on your computer.  Again use My Computer to open it and use Windows to view the photos.

At this point, you can copy or delete any photo you want. Just like any file and or folder on your computer.  Also, at this point DO NOT use or try the Canon provided software.  Just use what comes with Windows.  It is all you need.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You do not need any software to u/l the photos.  Your computer shoud see the camera all by itself.  Can you do this?

Look under where you look at hard drives, it will be there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements