cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 -- Photos aren't uploading

jcolpitts
Apprentice

Hi there,

I use my Rebel SL1 nearly everyday, and I've never had trouble uploading photos by either inserting the SD card into my desktop or using the camera cord to upload the photos to my desktop.

However, I took about 20 pictures over Christmas and for the first time, they won't upload. I can view all of the photos on my camera, however, when they try to upload the message indicates there has been an error, the photo gallery cannot open the photo, and the file format is not supported.

I tried another SD card to determine whether it was the SD card which was broken, but the next SD card I inserted and snapped a photo and tried to upload, the desktop is showing the exact same "cannot open the photo" message.

I'm using the exact same program to view the photos, and the photos were taken on the exact same camera setting as the 2000 other photos that are uploading from my SD card.

So it appears to be the camera (not any specific SD card) that is preventing new photos from uploading to my desktop.

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you format the second card you installed before trying to take a photo?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

IF you can see the photos on the LCD they exist. If you can't then they are not being saved to the card. Is the little LOCK tab set forward or to the rear of it's slot OR missing? I've had more than 1 SD card split open enough for the lock to fall out.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hi there

Yes, I can see the photos on the camera screen when the SD card is inserted in the camera. It is when I upload the photos to my computer that I get a message saying the photo gallery can't read the photo.

The same thing happens with multiple SD cards, so it must be the camera.

I'm wondering if there is some way to open them, or something I can set the camera to to make them readable when uploading?

Did you perhaps set your camera to RAW file type?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I don't know what that is -- is it a setting I can 'undo'?

Press the Menu button, rotate the wheel near the shutter button to select the red camera icon with one dot ( most left hand icon) and check what Image Quality says.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I don't think it's the camera. Have you tried using a card reader & a different computer. The program on your computer may be corrupt. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

RAW just might be the problem. Good one to check.

Yes you can undo it but you'll need the correct software to view the files you already have & to convert them to jpg's Use your manual to re set what types of files the camera writes to the card. Select any of the jpg ONLY settings & test fire a few shots & see if they show up on your computer.

To see & edit RAW files install DPP from your software disc.

Announcements